Member, Board of Directors
Position Type: Board (Unpaid)
Primary domain: Arts, Culture and Humanities
Postal code: 11201
State: New York
Country: United States
$0 - $1M
Brooklyn Ballet is a professional not-for-profit dance company dedicated to artistic excellence and education, reflecting Brooklyn’s diverse communities. The company was founded in February 2002 by Artistic Director Lynn Parkerson, the first of its kind in Brooklyn in more than 40 years. Brooklyn Ballet brings a contemporary vision to the treasured art form of ballet, with repertory and programs that revitalize and re-imagine the classical form. Our mission is three-fold: to commit to artistic accomplishment, education, and community engagement.
The Ballet presents its Company in an annual performance season in Brooklyn and has a professional Dance School located in Downtown Brooklyn. We also serve the community through educational outreach projects like Take Ballet to the Streets - our free performance series in unexpected spaces, Elevate - our public school dance residencies, and by providing low-cost space rentals and performance opportunities to New York City dance artists.
Brooklyn Ballet’s dedication to the community is wide-ranging. The Company continues to create and perform new repertory bringing Brooklyn audiences the artistic excellence they’ve come to expect. And through our Education and Community programs, Brooklyn Ballet creates opportunities for new audiences to experience an aspect of culture to which they may otherwise never have had access.
Brooklyn Ballet currently seeks talented and passionate candidates to join our Executive Board of Directors. Brooklyn Ballet relies on its Board of Directors for governance and oversight, planning the Ballet’s growth, and financing its programs. While the Ballet is relatively young, it has grand ambitions. We seek board members who can help Brooklyn Ballet realize its ambitions. Board Members meet three times a year in January, May, and September; and attend committee meetings when applicable.
Each Board member has the following responsibilities:
- Serve an initial term of three years with possible renewals.
- Be an advocate for Brooklyn Ballet by attending and bringing prospective supporters to Brooklyn Ballet events.
- Attend Brooklyn Ballet board meetings 3 times per year, with additional committee meetings as needed.
- Serve a leadership role as a Board officer and/or chair of a board committee.
- Help recruit new board members.
- Contribute financially to Brooklyn Ballet, and offer ideas to expand our donor base.
The Ballet seeks Board Members with the interests, expertise and backgrounds that include:
- A passion for dance and for the arts in general.
- Great interest in community outreach and education.
- Expertise in financial management, marketing, fundraising, law, or real estate.
- People of diverse backgrounds, representing the Brooklyn mosaic, and of all ages.
By joining Brooklyn Ballet's Board of Directors, you:
- Gain leadership experience in growing not-for-profit.
- Have access to world-class dance and choreography.
- Provide real impact in helping to bring dance to underserved communities.
- Work in collaborative and collegial environment in heart of Downtown Brooklyn.
Unpaid Board Position
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please email resume and a brief note of interest to Nellie Rainwater, Development Associate at Brooklyn Ballet: [email protected]
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert