Director of Operations
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Science/Technology
City: New York
Postal code: 10013
State: New York
Country: United States
Our mission is to ensure the Internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all. An Internet that truly puts people first, where individuals can shape their own experience and are empowered, safe and independent.
The Mozilla Foundation seeks an experienced, strategic, and entrepreneurial Director of Operations to oversee operations, finance, and administration. The ideal candidates will be a strong, systems-oriented generalist with significant experience managing and building nonprofit operations functions. The Director of Operations will report directly to and serve as a thought partner to the Executive Vice President, helping to develop and implement the strategy for the Foundation’s operational support structures and team.
This exciting key role is an opportunity to join an innovative, collaborative, and growing movement organization. The Director of Operations role is a full-time, location-flexible position, with preference for candidates located in San Francisco, Washington D.C., New York, or Toronto.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Partner with and advise the Executive Vice President (EVP) and other key leadership team members on the development of the Foundation’s strategic goals and the accompanying business plans, including the design of a global operational support function and finance and operation teams.
- Set metrics and key performance indicators to ensure objectives are being achieved; monitor and ensure accountability, promoting a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning, innovation, and a commitment to excellence.
- Troubleshoot and roll up your sleeves to solve operational and financial challenges and issues as they arise.
- Oversee, direct, connect and organize the work of the operations teams (including finance and administration, legal, tax); mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach; oversee the work of related external consultants.
- Oversee the financial planning, budgeting, financial reporting, and cash flow of the Foundation.
- Cultivate an organizational culture of shared financial management and increased business acumen, develop tools for forecasting and scenario planning; partner with leaders in the organization to bring a financial and operational perspective to strategic decisions.
- Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, operational standards, and procedures that reflect the current and future needs of the Foundation.
- Implement operational best practices to help the Foundation grow into a high impact movement organization.
- Manage and support the outsourced accounting firm (CFO, Controller, Senior Accountant and Accountant), Senior Financial Analyst, Grants Manager, and Contracts Manager in meeting their roles and mission.
Whileno one candidate will possess every quality outlined for this position, the successful candidate will bring many of the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- Experience managing operations and finance in fast-paced, mission-driven nonprofit environments for 10+ years; exposure to human resources, legal compliance and global operations ideal but not required.
- Results-proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make and recommend good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment.
- High level of business acumen and thorough understanding of operations, finance, and internal, cross-org support systems; experience creating policies and processes that enhance and facilitate the delivery of high impact programs.
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan.
- Exceptional real time problem-solver: rolls with the punches and solves problems quickly as they arise.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience workingcollaboratively across the diverse Mozilla landscape; demonstrated ability to build positive culture and bring diverse groups together toward the achievement of common goals.
- Strong capacity for managing and leading people in a remote team-based environment; experience building teams and scaling up organizations.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to translate operational and financial information and implications for a variety of audiences
- Ability to thrive in a high-growth, entrepreneurial, and largely distributed and remote environment
- Highly collaborative, inclusive, and skilled at effectively working across different teams; ability to lead through influence and build support at all levels of an organization
- Commitment to equity, access, and inclusion.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Shavon Bell of Koya Leadership Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role, please submit materials here. Materials should include a thorough resume and compelling letter of interest. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Mozilla Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that value diversity and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, veterans and LGBT applicants.
Posted By: Koya Leadership Partners
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert