Chief Development Officer (CDO)
Brooklyn Housing and Community Services
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Housing/Shelter
Postal code: 11205
State: New York
Country: United States
Opportunity for Impact
Celebrating 40 years of dedicated service, Brooklyn Community Housing and Services (BCHS) is committed to ending homelessness in Brooklyn. Each year, they provide safe and clean supportive housing for more than 1,000 formerly homeless women, children, and men. They help them learn how to live productively and independently, with dignity and hope. BCHS’s programs and innovative partnerships are designed to help vulnerable individuals move from a place of crisis and fragility to independence and community. Their program outcomes reflect this goal:
- 96% of all of BCHS’ formerly homeless residents successfully maintain their housing with the agency or move on to greater independence each year.
- More than 95% of the very low-income Brooklyn households who were at risk of eviction and sought help from BCHS averted eviction and avoided homelessness this past year.
- BCHS’ Healthy Aging program has been able to reduce the annual number of days spent in the hospital by the agency’s formerly homeless seniors by 88%.
- Nearly 80% of agency seniors get an annual physical or wellness exam, compared with 17% a decade ago.
- 100% of the homeless families who were served by BCHS’ Arbor Inn program and deemed housing ready were placed into permanent housing in the community this past year.
Brooklyn Community Housing and Services’ (BCHS) leadership views its newly created position of Chief Development Officer (CDO) as a unique and compelling opportunity to be a principal architect of the fundraising strategy and operation that leverages program success to drive the organization’s mission, building on existing efforts and aggressively pursuing new opportunities for funding and engagement. BCHS is an expanding organization and its leadership is deeply committed to its fundraising success and to pursuing new strategies and possibilities. Come join the BCHS team to save lives-at-risk, to help a top-notch agency grow and to end homelessness in Brooklyn!
“BCHS’ unique program model has been studied by government and nonprofit officials from throughout the U.S., the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Australia, and Israel, and was recently profiled in The Atlantic magazine.”
BCHS was founded in 1978 by a group of local clergies and concerned citizens from Downtown Brooklyn who were alarmed by the growing number of individuals with a mental illness that were sleeping on the street and seeking help from local parishes. Since then innovation and excellence have been agency hallmarks, and BCHS’ unique approach – which focuses on creating a sense of community for all of the formerly homeless individuals and families who seek assistance – has earned national and international recognition.
Additional information about BCHS can be found on the web at http://www.bchands.org/
BCHS seeks an ambitious and thoughtful leader with superior relationship skills and demonstrated success in building capacity and increasing revenue to become its Chief Development Officer(CDO). The successful candidate must have an authentic passion for the mission and be a highly articulate communicator skilled at making a compelling case for organizational support.
Reporting to the Executive Director and collaborating with the Board of Directors and staff colleagues, the Chief Development Officer will oversee BCHS’ development and communication functions, shaping and implementing the organization’s overall revenue and brand-building strategy. A critical priority for the CDO will be to build upon recent Board development efforts, as well as to explore and expand additional sources of revenue to strengthen and enhance BCHS’ impact and reach.
With an annual budget of $10M, and nearly 150 staff and volunteers, the agency seeks a donor-centric candidate with an entrepreneurial approach who can thrive in a warm, friendly environment creating both the development of a strategy and the execution of plans simultaneously. Through its current Foundation grants, annual Gala, year-end Appeal, and additional individual and corporate donations, BCHS will recognize at least $750,000 in fundraising revenue this year and seeks to expand this total further over the next few years.
As a member of the Executive Team, the CDO will play a key role in establishing organizational standards of excellence and working collaboratively with Senior Management. In addition to providing internal leadership, s/he will expand the reach and influence of BCHS through interactions with public, private, and philanthropic leaders.
- Develop an integrated and comprehensive fundraising strategy and plan that establishes goals for event income, individual giving, and corporate contributions, Board giving and Board-related giving, and foundation income.
- Create an overall communications strategy and plan designed to build awareness of BCHS’ services and to position BCHS to increase agency visibility and brand identity and generate financial support.
- Lead development department team including the Development Director, Development Assistant, and related consultants, vendors, contractors and community volunteers.
- Lead and oversee the implementation of all aspects of BCHS’ fundraising strategy and plan, including:
- Major Gifts: Responsible for cultivation, direct solicitation and stewardship of donors and prospects.
- Foundations: Supervise the management and solicitation of foundation and corporate giving.
- Annual Appeal: Help create annual year end appeal through direct mail and digital campaign, as well as any additional direct mail or digital campaigns.
- Event Planning: Oversee and enhance all agency and donor events.
- Recognition: Ensure that all donors receive proper recognition and acknowledgment
- Accountability: Closely monitor all key fundraising metrics and respond accordingly.
- Oversee all aspects of Board involvement in fundraising and development activities, including:
- Attend all Board meetings.
- Work with each individual member of the Board to identify donor prospects and execute related engagement, cultivation and stewardship plans.
- Provide direction and support to Board’s Development Committee and Committee on Trustees.
- Help oversee Board recruitment and application process, including meeting with and/or interviewing prospective members as appropriate.
- Oversee Board orientation and provide periodic Board trainings and other Board support.
- Oversee BCHS’ communications presence, including website, public relations, social media, and written publications, and work with staff to create timely and targeted communications materials, to enhance visibility and brand identity, and generate financial support.
- Oversee the development office systems, procedures and budget, including tracking and reporting systems and databases.
- Support the Executive Director’s development efforts, including setting strategy; establishing appointments; and overseeing and managing stewardship activities.
- Create a climate that promotes respect for others and acceptance of alternative ideas and approaches, fosters a culture of philanthropy, and establishes the highest ethical standards and practices.
- An established leader with a minimum of 7 years of successful development experience, with significant senior-level experience in areas including strategic prospect identification (corporate, foundation, individuals), proposal writing, event management, communications, and donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Outstanding relationship management skills.
- A strong entrepreneurial orientation, and strong management skills, both strategic and operational, along with a demonstrated ability to build, mentor and motivate a diverse and effective team.
- Demonstrated experience working with a diverse group of Board members in development-related activities, providing them with quality support, and increasing their comfort with and success in fundraising.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey BCHS’ mission and effectiveness with passion, skill and grace.
- Demonstrated ability to set and meet deadlines, and to assume increasing levels of responsibility commensurate with a growing organization.
- Demonstrated experience working with a diverse range of people, as well as an ability to work both independently and collaboratively with others.
- Sound judgment, professional demeanor and positive personality necessary for handling challenges, inspiring trust, and interacting with donors, volunteers, community leaders and others from a wide variety of backgrounds, along with an ability to model high personal, professional and ethical standards.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree in a related discipline a plus.
This position description is based upon materials provided by Brooklyn Community Housing and Services, an equal opportunity employer.
A competitive compensation package with a generous benefits package will be offered to the outstanding candidate.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To apply please visit: http://drgsearch.com/current-searches/?rpid=209643&postid=toFke_tY4TI&webapp=1
Posted By: Development Resources Group
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert