Head of School
Milton Gottesman Jewish Day School
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 20011
State: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Milton Gottesman Jewish Day School ("Milton") is a vibrant, pluralistic, and growing PK – 8 school in the heart of Washington, DC. Milton's open and inclusive community reflects the mosaic of DC Jewry, welcoming students and families of all Jewish backgrounds and fostering respect for others and a commitment to Jewish values, practices, and texts. As the only Jewish day school in the nation’s capital, Milton students benefit from the school’s urban location, a talented and dedicated faculty, and a warm and engaged community.
Milton’s mission is to provide a strong foundation in Jewish and secular learning, laying the groundwork for students to become knowledgeable, responsible Jews and citizens, deeply committed to the community at large and to Jewish living and values. Milton’s compelling approach strives to create an environment filled with warmth, joy, and intellectual excitement in which students become critical thinkers, empathic leaders, and active contributors to the world. Students gain proficiency in Jewish texts and in the Hebrew language, and they build a meaningful connection to the land, the culture, and the people of Israel.
This is an exciting moment of continued growth for Milton. In the fall of 2018, Milton opened its doors to an updated, state-of-the-art facility with spaces tailored to meet the needs of elementary (Grades 2 to 5) and middle school (Grades 6 to 8) students. This new space is replete with renovated classrooms, a Beit Midrash, two libraries, two science labs, a design lab, studios for art and music, and a full-sized gymnasium. The school’s early childhood program (Grades Pre-K to 1) continues at the South Campus, which opened after a significant renovation in 2013.
In its over 30 years, Milton has become a crucial institution in the District of Columbia, serving as a center for learning for young families, a gateway to Judaism and a key contributor to the renaissance of Jewish life in the District. The school is AIMS accredited and currently serves more than 400 students.
More information about the school can be found on the web at: www.miltongottesman.org
This Head of School opportunity is an exciting and critically important role for the Milton Gottesman Jewish Day School. As the professional leader, the Head of School position carries responsibilities in the following areas:
The Head of School will be a charismatic and compassionate leader who will motivate, empower, and collaborate with the entire school community to set the course for sustained growth. This position will require a dedicated, approachable, student-centered mentor who will demonstrate a genuine passion and appreciation for each student and his or her well-being. The Head of School will serve as an advocate for the school and community, which is welcoming and respectful of students and their families.
The Head of School has primary responsibility for all operations of the school on both campuses, including instruction, business affairs, student life, advancement of its financial resource development (including building the endowment), enrollment, Board relations, and the building and maintaining of communal relationships and partnerships. In addition, as Milton continues to grow, the Head of School will work in concert with the Chief Operating Officer to systematize and professionalize many of the school’s administrative processes. The Head of School has ultimate responsibility for hiring, supervising, evaluating and supporting Milton’s leadership team, and for fostering trust, a culture of continual learning, and a positive morale among all faculty and administrative members.
The Head of School is expected to build on the school's deep commitment to the highest educational standards in general studies, Judaic studies, Hebrew language learning, and Israel education, and to provide a dynamic and innovative learning environment for students and teachers. In addition, the Head of School will work closely to define strategic priorities and to establish systems that ensure the continued advancement and growth of the Middle School.
Reporting to Milton’s Board of Trustees (“the Board”), the Head of School has ultimate responsibility for embracing the pluralistic values of the school and ensuring the articulation, implementation and advancement of Milton's vision and mission, and for providing an outstanding education to the school's students. The Head of School plays a large role in shaping, nurturing and maintaining the overall culture and tone of Milton.
The Milton Board of Trustees seeks a Head of School with an ability to communicate and articulate the vision, mission, values and ideas of the school in an inspiring, thoughtful and consensus-building manner to all constituencies. This position requires an entrepreneurial and data-driven leader who engenders confidence and approaches the job with curiosity and a willingness to try new things. The successful Head of School will also be or possess the following:
- Dynamic relationship builder who displays a sincere interest in each student and engages them with the values and ethos of Milton.
- Excellent people skills. Warm, honest and fair approach in dealing with others. Ability to interact and engage comfortably with a wide variety of key constituents including students, parents, Board members, major donors and community leaders.
- Proven track record as an organizational leader and/or educational administrator.
- Open and collaborative management and leadership style. Comfort with soliciting input from others while still being decisive and independent in the decision-making process. Strong ability to delegate and transfer authority and responsibility for work to others.
- Ability to see the “big picture” and maintain a strategic overview in addressing problems and planning solutions in a results-oriented manner.Vision to develop and advocate for new, imaginative and unique solutions.
- Demonstrated track-record of identifying, attracting and developing top talent.
- Visionary leadership with a proven growth mindset setting an expectation of excellence in every facet of the school.
- Successful track record with the development and implementation of an advancement strategy, and experience with donor cultivation.
- Financial acumen; able to design and prepare budgets and set financial priorities.
- Excellent communication skills, in writing and in public speaking before groups of different sizes and constituencies.
- Ability to set clear priorities from amongst a number of diverse tasks and needs, meeting predetermined schedules and laying out a timely course of action to address issues and problems.
- Facility with Hebrew and knowledge of Jewish culture and practice.
- Advanced degree preferred.
This position description is based upon material provided by Milton Gottesman Jewish Day School, an equal opportunity employer.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To apply to this position please visit: http://drgsearch.com/current-searches/?rpid=211377&postid=kC9mxs0BNe0&webapp=1
Posted By: Development Resources Group
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert