Chief Operating Officer
Career Path Services
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Employment
Postal code: 99201
Country: United States
$10M - $20M
Career Path Services is a workforce development and humane services 501(c)3 nonprofit. We are: Breaking the spirit of poverty through the dignity of work.
As a key member of the Career Path Services executive team, the Chief Operating Officer (COO) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for all Career Path Services programs. The COO will provide leadership in translating strategic vision into action, designing and implementing operating models, and grant and contract development. In addition, the COO will: provide leadership and guidance for the Career Path Services management team, cultivate strategic relationships with public and private funders and partner agencies; serve as liaison to Career Path Services’ partners and fund sources; and work with Career Path Services’ Board of Directors to keep them abreast of programmatic strategies and challenges. Finally, the COO will partner with the Executive Team, and Human Resources Manager to develop and implement policies as set forth by the organization.
The COO must be a person whose personal and professional life exemplifies the importance and dignity of service. By example and by leadership and direction, the COO will be a person of high integrity who is confident, relaxed and positive in their approach to issues and people and capable of instilling a service ethic in managers and staff at all levels. The finalist will have an enthusiasm for results-oriented performance, team building at all levels and a desire for creating a management environment centered on continuous improvement and human centered design principles in all areas of operation. The COO must enthusiastically support the organization’s mission, purpose, vision, and values.
The finalist candidate will be a team player with strong interpersonal communication skills and an aptitude for establishing and sustaining positive relationships, creating consensus, and motivating people. They will have a high level of related workforce development knowledge and exhibit a strong knowledge base regarding today’s rapidly changing industry trends.
The stability of this position depends upon individual and organizational performance and goal attainment.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The major responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
Operational and Systems Performance
Strategic Planning and Management
- Implement and lead a continuous quality improvement process throughout the program and service areas, focusing on systems/process improvement. Utilize data to identify strengths and opportunities. Promote regular and ongoing opportunities for all staff to give feedback on program operations.
- Optimize operation performance by ensuring the continued financial viability of Career Path Services’ operational units through sound fiscal management and monitoring programmatic progress. Design and create service delivery models using evidence based, human centered design approach.
- Effectively manages organizational risk and business continuity plans; supervises reporting tracking, follow up, and remediation of identified risks.
- Works with the CFO to develop, implement, and maintain all internal programmatic systems, policies, budgets, and procedures necessary to carry out the programmatic and fiscal mission of Career Path Services.
- Responsible for translating performance measures of the organization into useful information for the Career Path Services’ Board of Directors, the leadership team, and direct service staff, as well as converting organizational strategies into measurable, actionable plans.
Transformative Leadership and Development
- Create a framework for the organization’s innovation processes through an entrepreneurial and flexible approach; innovate existing business model by linking market developments back to operations.
- Identify opportunities for Career Path Services to leverage cross-program strengths to take advantage of new opportunities and/or to address organizational challenges.
- Provide programmatic leadership and input for all strategic plan implementation processes with the CEO and staff. Coach Directors as they implement the strategic plan and transition program operations.
Business and Resource Development/Growth
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership by being actively involved in all programs and services, developing a broad and deep knowledge of all programs, and ensuring that all program activities operate consistently and ethically within the mission and values of Career Path Services.
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain Career Path Services’ high-performance management team with an emphasis on developing capacity in strategic analysis, planning and program budgeting.
- Directly supervise directors in their day-to-day management of programmatic matters. Responsible for hiring, training, development, and performance management of direct reports.
- Manage and cultivate relationships with fund sources, customer referral agencies, and partner organizations both inside and outside of industry to achieve preferred contractor status with every source and secure and expand recurring revenue streams.
- Communicate with all fund sources regarding policy, procedures, contract compliance, programmatic progress, monitoring, special issues and meetings.
- Publicly represent Career Path Services with the media and external constituency groups including community, governmental, and private organizations and build excitement for Career Path Services’ mission.
- Provide leadership and initiative in sustaining and expanding existing programmatic funding streams and seeks new program funding consistent with the mission, purpose and vision of the organization.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION
General Leadership Competencies – Level 4Leading the OrganizationLeading OthersLeading Oneself• Strategic thinking
• Problem solving
• Decision making
• Change leadership
• Project management
• Systems thinking
• Business & operations management
• Relationship building• Build trust and collaboration
• Inspire others
• Communication and influence
• Developing others
• Diplomacy and tact
• Conflict resolution
• Curiosity/listening• Growth mindset
• Internal motivation
• Openness to change
Technical Competencies and Skills
Organizational Core Values
- Knowledge, understanding, and operation of workforce development and/or human services fields.
- Understanding of dynamics of local, regional, and national workforce development environments and markets as well as knowledge of federal and state grant implementation.
- Strong relationship builder and communicator and strength in developing strategic partnerships.
- Ability to facilitate progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization.
- Excellence in operational management with the ability to coach management team to manage and develop high-performance teams and develop and implement program strategies.
- Knowledge of budget planning, allocation and management, financial management including planning and forecasting; ability to manage business continuity and operational risk.
- Ability to analyze data and implement key performance indicators to support organizational strategy.
- Integrity: Stay true to our mission, purpose, and vision; act in harmony with our beliefs and values; gain trust while respecting boundaries; keep commitments, hold ourselves and others accountable.
- Courage: Care deeply and enthusiastically in the organization’s mission and purpose; take smart risks and challenge status quo; challenge actions inconsistent with organization’s values; speak up, even when uncomfortable; perform heroic actions advocating for those the organization serves.
- Generosity: Extend hospitality, appreciation, and have dedication to serve others; seek what is best for the organization rather than self; act humbly; treat everyone with kindness and dignity.
- Visionary: Embrace an entrepreneurial spirit; pioneer new ideas and demonstrate curiosity, set audacious goals and extend beyond minimum expectations; embrace failure to break boundaries and learn rapidly; be willing to do things differently; adapt and stay nimble by finding time to simplify.
- Leadership: Serve first and focus on growth & well-being of the people we serve; humbly guide and lead others to make a positive difference; contribute to the larger good; share knowledge; commit self and others to professional growth; be a life-long learner; engage in open, honest communication.
- Excellence: Perform with integrity to ensure accurate and competent results with a positive impact; achieve the results the organization promises; consider other points of view; think critically and problem solve by identifying root causes; show unity through teamwork; embrace collaboration across silos, functional teams, and external partners.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a field of study related to: Business Administration, Human Resources, Public Administration, Social Services, or related field. Direct experience may be substituted for the education requirement.
- Minimum of three years of experience in a senior management position at Career Path Services, or with a like organization, a community-based organization, a private or public sector employer, a workforce development organization, or with an institution of higher education.
- A minimum of three years of experience overseeing operations of at least $10 million per year and leading operations with demonstrated performance attainments and data-driven program evaluation.
- Strong background in federal and state grant implementation and strategy.
- Must be able to work in a culturally diverse and fast-paced environment and demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity and cultural competency.
- Ability to travel 50 percent of the time to provide on-site leadership for operating units and programs.
- An MBA or Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Organizational Development, Organizational Leadership.
- Certified Workforce Development Professional (CWDP) credential or other relevant professional association.
- Leading health care package, including medical with both F.S.A. and H.S.A. options, dental, and vision
- Basic Life and AD&D Insurance, Short Term Disability, and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Voluntary/supplemental group term life insurance, group AD&D insurance, hospital indemnity coverage, accident coverage, critical illness coverage, legal coverage, and identity theft coverage
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with a leading employer discretionary contribution and 457(b) Retirement Plan with Key Employee Retirement Benefits
- Paid Vacation (accrue 12 hours/month), Sick (accrue 8 hours/month), Bereavement (1 week), Jury Duty and Military Leave
- 11 Paid Holidays, including Floating Holiday and Birthday Holiday
- Cell Phone, Internet, Personal Development, and Professional Development Reimbursement Allowances
- Company provided parking in downtown Spokane
- Flexible scheduling/condensed work-week (as work demands allow)
$120k - 140k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Apply at: https://careerpathservices.applicantstack.com/x/openings
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert