Stokes Nature Center
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Environment
Postal code: 84321
Country: United States
$0 - $1M
Our Mission is to provide nature education, promote outdoor exploration, and foster appreciation and stewardship of our natural world for people of all ages
The Allen and Alice Stokes Nature Center, founded in 1997, is a nonprofit organization in Cache Valley, Utah with a mission to provide nature education, promote outdoor exploration, and foster appreciation and stewardship of our natural world for people of all ages. Stokes Nature Center seeks a Full-Time Executive Director to manage, coordinate, and oversee the operations of the organization. The Executive Director will have overall operational and financial responsibility for Stokes Nature Center staff, development efforts, and execution of its mission in coordination with the leadership team of the Nature Center.
Logan Nature Center provides nature-based education through a nature preschool program, public and home school programs, community outreach and summer camps. A summer outdoor concert series, Canyon Jams connects nature and music in Logan Canyon. A schedule of events connects the nature center with an active cadre of donors and volunteers throughout the year. Check out the events at our vibrant and growing organization.
Cache Valley is a broad agricultural valley nestled between the Wellsville and Bear River Mountains of northern Utah and southeast Idaho. The largest town, Logan, UT, is home to both Stokes Nature Center and Utah State University. Logan is also the gateway to the Logan Ranger District of the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest and Stokes Nature Center partners with the Forest Service through the Children’s Forest program. Outdoor recreation is at the heart of Cache Valley’s identity with ample opportunities for hiking, biking, camping, cross country and downhill skiing, hot springs and many other activities.
- Provide direction to all staff and volunteers to ensure the smooth, safe and efficient operation of the organization
- Contribute to the overall strategic planning process of the organization including working with a Board of Directors to ensure mission efficacy
- Serve as the chief operating officer ensuring that all operational procedures and guidelines are created, maintained, and in legal compliance for the betterment of the organization
- Serve as the chief fundraising officer, building relationships, facilitating major gifts, foundational giving, corporate giving, and membership
- Represent the organization through community events, speaking engagements and stakeholder meetings
- Oversee and contribute to grant writing, the organization’s website, and social media accounts
- Oversee financial health of Stokes’ assets and achieve financial objectives of the organization
- Analyze organization’s fiscal performance
- Develop and monitor annual budgets in excess of $250,000
- Maintain financial transparency in interactions with board of directors and stakeholders
- Supervise team and manage human resource functions
- Develop an environment that motivates top performance and attracts high level candidates
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, with minimum of 5 years experience in nonprofit administration or equivalent experience.
- Proven success in operating a similar type of nonprofit, small business or start up entity
- Experience in a partnership with government entities or similar agencies preferred.
- Experience in development including managing capital campaigns, foundation/corporate funding and planned giving
- Strong financial acumen with experience developing and managing budgets
- Experience in recruiting, coaching, developing and retaining talented employees and effectively managing the human resources responsibilities of an organization
- Some evening, weekend and holiday hours may be required as business demands
- The candidate must have the ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
- Some need for local travel is possible; valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required
- The candidate will be required to attend trade and association conventions in other cities; occasional travel will be required
Applicants must possess a Bachelor's degree in a field related to environmental education or non-profit management
Salary starting at $48,000 and commensurate with experience/education. Benefits offered include a monthly HSA contribution, accrued vacation, and sick leave.
Less than $60k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Qualified Candidates must submit:
• Letter of Interest
• 3 Professional References (with valid e-mail addresses and phone numbers)
Review of applications will begin May 31 and the position is open until filled.
Questions and application material should be sent to [email protected]
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert