Vice President, Programs
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Community/Capacity Building
Postal code: 20009
State: Washington, DC
Country: United States
KaBOOM! is the national non-profit dedicated to giving all kids – especially those living in poverty – the childhood they deserve through great, safe places to play. KaBOOM! inspires communities to make play the easy choice and works to drive the national discussion about the importance of PLAYces. KaBOOM! has collaborated with partners to build or improve more than 17,000 playspaces, engage over 1.5 million volunteers and serve nearly 10 million kids.
This job description does not constitute an employee agreement between the employer and the employee; this description is subject to change by the employer as the needs and requirements of the job change.
KaBOOM! is seeking a seasoned leader to provide vision and leadership for the program department, overseeing six direct reports and a total staff of 40 in the following areas: Project Management (the team that works directly with communities to build playspaces); Community Outreach (the team that identifies communities in need of new playspaces); and Programs, Grants and Operations (the team that runs grant programs for communities to build their own playspaces and provides technical assistance to grantees). These teams play a critical role in supporting the mission of KaBOOM! by working directly with communities across America to identify the need for, design, plan and build great places to play.
The VP, Programs is an integral part of the senior team and is involved in strategic planning, long-term goal identification, budgeting, development of organizational structure, and going to scale planning and implementation. In particular, the VP, Programs works closely with our Vice President, City Partnerships and our Vice President, Partnership Development to build, manage and grow our partnerships with municipal agencies, non-profit anchor institutions, cross-sector funders and the playspace manufacturing industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Reports to and works in close collaboration with the CEO, to shape the strategy, operations, and metrics for the program team
- Provides daily leadership, management, and mentorship for a talented and growing team (six direct reports, total staff of 40), ensuring they have clear direction, resources, and support to achieve their individual and team objectives
- Develops and cultivates relationships with key partners to understand their issues, concerns, and challenges and to determine if/how to leverage the expertise of KaBOOM! to meet their needs, including high-level troubleshooting for high-priority, high-profile and complex projects.
- Facilitates and optimizes cross-team collaboration and integration of strategies.
- Leads team to ensure quality execution of goals within budget.
- Leads program design, planning, budget development, assessment and continuous improvement for the program team.
- Leads program teamwork with Partnership Development team to raise funds to support and grow our programs
- Leads program teamwork with City Partnerships team to build large-scale, long-term partnerships with cities and municipal systems.
- Actively cultivates an inclusive work environment that contributes to the achievement of the organization’s diversity, equity and inclusion goals and cultural competences, including but not limited to the areas of recruitment, retention, and training and development
- Leads the application of a racial equity lens to our programs
The VP, Programs also serves as a key external spokesperson and thought leader for our organization with the media and stakeholder groups, working closely with our Vice President, Communications & Marketing. This position requires a dynamic and innovative leader with a proven ability to envision and operationalize a strategy. The VP, Programs will serve as a highly visible external representative of KaBOOM! and must be comfortable building strong relationships with diverse partners. Internally, this leader will be responsible for leading the program team to ensure we have the capabilities to maintain our high standards for program execution as we innovate and expand our work and for facilitating a tremendous amount of cross-team collaboration.
- Minimum of 15 years progressive professional and managerial experience
- Strong understanding of non-profit/program leadership and management
- Previous experience developing and executing the strategy for a large-scale department or program-level initiative
- Proven analytical skills
- Exceptional oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- The right blend of professional confidence with a keen sense of diplomacy in front of executive audiences and in internal collaboration.
- Ability to plan, organize and provide leadership and consultation to the CEO
- Well-developed interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage, establish and maintain effective working relationships internally and externally
- Strong experience with and demonstrated commitment to racial equity work
Other Skills, Abilities and Attributes
To ensure successful job performance, candidate must:
- Possess the skills necessary to prioritize, multi-task and thrive in an organization experiencing rapid change (learn quickly from multiple sources and possess well-developed analytical, planning, organization, and problem-solving skills).
- Be committed to accomplish objectives through the skills of persuasion, influence and negotiation.
- Possess the orientation and ability necessary to collaborate and work effectively as a member of a diverse, high-performing, and inclusive team.
- Possess effective communication skills (listening, oral, written and presentation).
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To apply, please follow link:
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert