Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Client/Customer Service
Primary domain: Community/Capacity Building
Postal code: 78704
Country: United States
$0 - $1M
GoodCitizen is a specialized executive search firm focused on finding authentic leaders for mission-driven organizations, including non-profits, foundations, NGOs, social venture funds, and for-profit social entities. And we are motivated. The pressing social challenges facing the world today, and the best ideas for a better tomorrow, converge on questions of leadership. We feel this urgently, and GoodCitizen exists to help social impact organizations find high-impact leaders who can think differently, marshal resources, and drive systems change.
We are looking for a Managing Director, Client Services to join our senior team. The Managing Director will be responsible for developing client relationships and helping build GoodCitizen as a leading firm and brand in social impact talent.
1. responsibilities: client service
The Managing Director is responsible for developing relationships with, and leading search projects for, GoodCitizen clients. Most GoodCitizen projects begin with a warm inbound, i.e., a potential client has heard about our firm. The MD converts the opportunity to an engagement and then leads the client through a three-phase process. In Phase 1 (“Kickoff”), the MD meets with key client stakeholders to explain the GoodCitizen approach, scope the role, define criteria, and set a strategy. In Phase 2 (“Outreach”), the MD works with GoodCitizen staff to market the role through channels and qualify promising candidates. In Phase 3 (“Selection”), the MD works closely with the client to evaluate and provide advice on finalist candidates. Projects typically take 2-4 months to complete, with the MD leading several projects simultaneously, supported by GoodCitizen staff.
2. responsibilities: firm building
As a senior member of GoodCitizen’s team, the Managing Director will also have a significant opportunity to help shape the firm itself. This includes providing leadership and input on firm strategy, processes, and policies. Perhaps most importantly, the Managing Director will play a role in shaping firm culture The MD will be expected to invest significant time in developing and mentoring our own people. As the firm grows, the MD will help establish precedent for how the firm operates.
The ideal candidate will be a “builder” and possess: 1) deep experience in the social sector, preferably as CEO or ED of a non-profit; 2) significant experience with talent acquisition and executive teams; 3) management consulting or professional services experience; and, 4) a track record of success operating in entrepreneurial environments.
- 15+ years of experience leading teams
- Grounded understanding of the social impact sector, including topics such as theory of change, equity and inclusion, impact investing, measurement
- Experience with non-profit management, including building and managing a Board of Directors, developing strategic plans, fundraising, staff management
- Multi-sector competence; prior experience working across entities and stakeholders in the nonprofit, business, and government sectors
- Prior experience with recruiting, either as a consumer or provider of recruiting services; understands retained search versus other recruiting models
- Prior experience serving on, or working with, a search committee
- Direct experience delivering consulting or professional services; well-honed communication skills and project management capabilities; services origination experience, i.e., converting leads into clients, is a plus
- Prior success in translating a vision into new operations and programs
- Entrepreneurial by nature; accustomed to prioritizing and achieving results in lean environments; engages and lends a hand when/where needed
- Able to build bridges across cultural boundaries with grace and respect; international work experience and/or multilingual capabilities helpful
- Distinctive relationship building skills; skilled at maintaining effective connectivity with a high volume of stakeholders
- A natural mentor; attracts and develops outstanding people
- Experience working effectively with an engaged Board of Directors
- Self-supportive with office technologies, e.g., MS Office, Salesforce
- Able to travel as needed (20-30%+) to meet clients and candidates
- Located in, or able to relocate to, Austin, Texas
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
If you would like to apply for this Managing Director position, please send a cover letter and resume to GoodCitizen co-founder, Max Scoular ([email protected]). The cover letter should provide a brief statement of interest and qualifications and should not exceed two pages.
Thank you in advance for your interest!
Posted By: GoodCitizen
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert