Major Gifts Officer
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Other
Postal code: 02138
Country: United States
We harness the power of digital technology to create a financially inclusive world.
Founded in 1994 and serving the states of Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas, Accion is a nonprofit organization that increases access to business credit, makes loans and provides training to enable entrepreneurs to realize their dreams and be catalysts for positive economic and social change.
Dedicated to helping entrepreneurs and business owners generate income, build assets, create jobs and achieve financial success, Accion offers business loans from $1,000 to $1 million, along with training, networking and other support services to those who own or want to start a business. To date, the organization has granted about 14,000 loans totaling more than $142 million to nearly 9,300 small businesses across that five states that it serves.
Celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, Accion has earned the “Exceptional” four-star rating eight years in a row from Charity Navigator, the independent national nonprofit evaluator -- an achievement shared with only 4 percent of the charities evaluated by Charity. This top designation sets Accion apart as exceeding industry standards and outperforming most charities in its cause, offering donors the confidence they are supporting a model organization that exemplifies financial health, accountability, and transparency.
Under the longtime leadership of its CEO Anne Haines, Accion has embarked on an initiative to spread the word about entrepreneurship as the fastest path to economic mobility in America today. Called the “Moonshot,” this national movement aims to mobilize $1 trillion into the hands of underserved entrepreneurs between now and 2030. To support this transformative journey, Accion is seeking a talented, mission-driven Major Gifts Officer with a demonstrated record of major gifts success to be part of best-in-class advancement team.
This search is being conducted by Linh Nguyen and Javier Garcia of NPAG. Application instructions can be found at the end of this document.
Opportunities and Challenges Facing the Major Gifts Officer
The Major Gifts Officer is a newly created position to complement a strong advancement team under the seasoned mentoring and guidance of Accion’s Vice President for Strategic Philanthropy and Investments (VP/SPI) and its Director of Philanthropy. The ideal candidate will have the opportunity to broaden their relationship networks and hone their cultivation and fundraising skills while contributing to a transformative mission. Reporting to the Director of Philanthropy, the Major Gifts Officer will:
- Partner with the VP/SPI and the Director of Philanthropy to align and coordinate major gifts cultivation goals and activities with nation-wide philanthropic strategies and tactics as well as community-based fundraising campaigns and events.
- Develop effective strategies and systems for raising significant gifts from individual donors.
- Help donors accomplish their philanthropic goals and ambitions through a relationship with Accion.
- Secure major gifts, especially at the $50,000+ level.
- Carry a portfolio of 30-50 individual donors throughout the five-state region.
- Partner with other departments to plan and design strategic cultivation and stewardship events and fundraising appeals.
- Work closely with the VP/SPI and Director of Philanthropy in providing the President/CEO, Board members, and other Accion supporters with fundraising support and coaching for their identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major gifts, always treating donors with the utmost in courtesy and respect.
- Ensure all donors receive appropriate, prompt acknowledgement and updates on the impact that their gifts have made.
- Manage systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects, including Accion’s donor database and wealth screening tools.
- Manage existing portfolio of donors and prospects with an eye toward moving them up into higher giving categories. Create and implement moves management plans.
- Make direct, face-to-face solicitations and, as requested, assists the board and other staff with their solicitation (e.g. provides portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications).
- Acknowledge major donors through public and private recognition.
QUALIFICATIONS OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Accion’s mission and bring to the work many of the qualifications below.
Demonstrated experience and success in fundraising in or for a mission-oriented organization, particularly in closing major gifts at the $50,000+ level.
Strong appetite for continuously finding creative strategies and tactics to generate compelling major gift opportunities.
Demonstrated ability to develop and implement tailored plans for solicitations and follow established procedures for tracking, qualifying and managing prospects.
High level of discretion and ethical approach to fundraising.
Proven ability to interact with, earn trust from, and influence philanthropic donors and leaders.
A team player with a high degree of accountability, strong work ethic, creative and collaborative approach to teamwork who inspires teammates to contribute their best.
Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, an ability to listen to and balance, negotiate and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines.
- Bachelor’s Degree and five years advancement, major gifts, or fundraising experience
- Commitment to Accion’s values of passion, pioneering spirit, integrity, accountability, and excellence
- Track record of cultivating and securing gifts at the $10,000 level and above
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment background and credit investigation
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
This search is being conducted with assistance from Linh Nguyen and Javier Garcia of NPAG. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, and applications will be reviewed as they are received. Please send nominations and/or applications including cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, your resume (in Word format), and where you learned of the position to: https://grnh.se/b128836e2.
Accion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
NPAG is a national executive search and consulting firm dedicated to serving the mission-driven community. We partner with global mission-driven clients to deliver highly-tailored, innovative, and strategic senior- and executive-level search services.
Posted By: NPAG
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert