National Dance Institute
Position Type: Board (Unpaid)
Primary domain: Arts, Culture and Humanities
City: New York
Postal code: 10039
State: New York
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
National Dance Institute (NDI) was founded in 1976 by New York City Ballet principal dancer
Jacques d’Amboise, and leads the field of arts education with a model program that has been
studied and replicated worldwide.
At the root of NDI’s methodology is the belief that the arts have a unique power to engage
children of every background, ability, and socio-economic position, and motivate them toward
excellence in an environment of inclusivity. Led by Traci Lester and under the artistic direction of
Ellen Weinstein, we utilize dance and music to instill in students a love of the arts, a passion for
learning, and a desire to strive for their personal best. Our programs also help foster the social
development, global awareness, and cultural literacy of our dancers.
In 2011, NDI opened the doors to the National Dance Institute Center for Learning & the
Arts on 147th Street in Harlem, allowing us to further our mission and expand our reach. The
Center now serves as a beacon for children, families, teachers, and artists in the Harlem
community and throughout New York City. Since our founding, NDI has impacted the lives of
over two million children throughout New York City, across the United States, and around the
NDI currently seeks talented and passionate candidates to join our Board of Directors. NDI relies on its Board of Directors for governance and oversight, planning the organization’s growth strategy, and financing its programs. We seek board members who can help NDI realize its ambitions. Board Members meet four times a year generally in December, March, June, and September; and attend committee meetings when applicable.
Each Board member has the following responsibilities:
- Serve an initial term of three years with possible renewals.
- Be an advocate for NDI by attending events and introducing prospective supporters to NDI events.
- Attend NDI board meetings four times per year, with additional committee meetings as needed.
- Help recruit new Board members.
- Contribute financially to NDI, and offer ideas to expand our donor base.
NDI seeks Board Members with the interests, expertise and backgrounds that include:
- A passion for working with children, dance, and for arts education in general.
- Great interest in community outreach and education.
- Expertise or experience in financial management and investing; advocating for not-for-profit institutions; the arts; education; marketing and public relations; fundraising; law; or real estate.
- People of diverse backgrounds, representing the New York City mosaic.
By joining NDI’s Board of Directors, you:
- Gain leadership experience in proven and established not-for-profit.
- Have access to world-class dance and choreography.
- Provide real impact in helping to bring arts education programming to communities locally, nationally and around the globe.
- Work in a collaborative and collegial environment when meeting with the NDI team in Harlem and at public schools throughout New York City.
Unpaid Board Position
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please email resume and a brief note of interest to Carole Sobin at NDI: [email protected]
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert