Accounting and Administration Associate
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Healthcare
City: San Francisco
Postal code: 94110
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
Muso is a rapidly growing global health organization, committed to the idea that no one should die waiting for health care. We build health systems to save lives by reaching patients faster, within hours of the moment they become sick. Muso has spent more than a decade designing our Proactive Care approach, and preparing it for scale. Muso partners with government to design, build, test, and scale proactive health care systems. Today, Muso provides health care to 350,000 people across two regions of Mali, in West Africa.
We have documented rapid health improvements across the populations we serve: a 2018 study found that communities we serve in Mali, which previously had some of the world’s highest child mortality rates, achieved and sustained child mortality rates lower than any country in sub-Saharan Africa for five years, and ultimately reached a rate on par with that of the United States.
These are outlier, extraordinary changes. But they shouldn’t be. The death of a child should be rare everywhere. To make this kind of change the new normal, Muso will grow our service over the next five years, through direct health care delivery, research to drive forward the global effort for child survival and universal health coverage, and technical assistance to governments and their partners, within and beyond Mali. We’re now partnering with the Malian government to support a national health care reform, to improve access to health care for Mali’s 18 million people. Preparations are underway to expand our service in partnership with government partners beyond Mali. Learn more about Muso’s work at www.musohealth.org.
The Accounting and Administration Associate plays a critical role in Muso’s growth, as the team works to deliver health care to hundreds of thousands of people who otherwise would not have access, and to change health policy and practice for millions of patients. The Accounting and Administration Associate supports Muso’s financial, development, administrative, and risk management operations in the United States. They will conduct all accounting functions of Muso’s San Francisco office. In addition, they will play a central role supporting the development team and managing the organization’s revenue, assessing gaps to be filled to achieve our strategic goals, creating budgets for proposals to potential partners, and building reports for existing partners. This is a complex operation that demands a high level of analytical skill, organizational ability, planning, attention to detail, and collaboration with other teammates. The Accounting and Administration Associate will also lead administration of the U.S. office functions, including human resources and information technology. This is an extraordinary opportunity to use your accounting skills to save lives, change policy, and build more just and equitable health care systems.
Revenue Management and Accounting (~60%)
- Collaborate with the development team and the CFO to align the organization’s budgetary needs with funding opportunities. Analyze which parts of the organization’s budget are already covered by restricted funding commitments, and where new commitments could be most impactful
- Manage systems for tracking restricted funding from multiple sources, to ensure that the resources Muso receives for our patients is stewarded with great transparency, efficiency, and impact
- Build budgets for funding partner proposals, taking into account existing restricted and unrestricted commitments and funding gaps within our annual operating budget and strategic priorities.
- Build financial reports for Muso’s more than 40 current funding partners, and create organizational systems to ensure we deliver on our commitments on time, with rigor, and in compliance with grant agreements
- Assist in processing balance sheets, income statements, and other financial statements according to legal and organizational accounting and financial guidelines
- Collaborate with Development team members to support shared Development-Finance grants management systems
Expense Management and Accounting (~25%)
- Support a timely and accurate monthly accounting close
- Post and process journal entries to ensure all business transactions are recorded
- Update accounts receivable and issue invoices
- Update accounts payable and perform reconciliations
- Assist with reviewing expenses and payroll records as needed
- Update financial data in databases to ensure information accuracy and availability
- Prepare and submit weekly/monthly reports
- Assist with the annual global audit
- Assist with the annual operating budget creation process
- Support human resources needs of the Muso US office, with the support of Muso’s Mali-based Human Resources team and the TriNet HR team
- Coordinate administrative and IT functions of US office
- Integrity, honesty, and commitment to Muso’s core mission, vision, and values in pursuit of health care for all
- Proven experience in accounting
- Excellent organizational abilities and detail orientation
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and workflows, and to deliver with quality, on time, in a fast-growing, deadline-driven environment
- Critical thinking ability
- Good understanding of accounting and financial reporting principles and practices
- Excellent knowledge relevant computer software including QuickBooks Online and MS Office
- BSc/Ba in accounting, finance or relevant field. MA in finance and accounting or working towards a CPA a plus
- Able to work effectively, sensitively, and equitably across cultures, geographies, and languages
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and efficacy in open interpersonal collaboration
- Non-profit accounting experience a plus
- French language proficiency a plus
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. A health insurance package will be included. This position will receive up to 20 days of vacation annually and one sick day per month based on date of hire, as well as major U.S. holidays. This role will also receive support for professional development opportunities. Muso is an equal opportunity employer.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with Accounting and Administration Associate Application in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The application deadline is rolling, but interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert