Human Capital Manager
Boston Public Schools
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Human Resources/Recruiting
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 02119
Country: United States
Boston Public Schools understands that in today’s increasingly globalized, 21st century economy, our students must be nurtured to be critical thinkers, analytical problem solvers, and strong communicators. It is our mission that all BPS graduates have a love for learning and view the world as a classroom without walls. BPS believes that, with effective teaching and high-functioning systems, all students can achieve this vision regardless of native language, gender, disability, family income, sexual orientation, or race.
The vision of the Office of Human Capital is to ensure there are effective educators in every classroom and every school, every day who prepare students for college, career, and beyond. We aim to attract, cultivate, deploy, develop, and retain the most effective talent that is reflective of the cultural and linguistic diversity of our students.
The Human Capital Manager works with a network of schools to provide high-quality human resources and talent management services to school leaders. This individual is the point of contact for school leaders regarding talent management including screening, recruitment, selection, on-boarding, transfers, forced placements, separations, data collection and reporting, and other Human Capital (HC) functions and effectiveness measures for all school–based staff. Under the direction of the Director of Strategic Staffing, Human Capital Managers work closely with school and central office staff to proactively assess HC-related needs and implement actions that effectively develop and leverage organizational talent. Human Capital Managers will become experts in each school and will attend and participate in routine and strategic meetings at school and/or central office. The Human Capital Managers will also provide support on day-to-day employee relations concerns as they arise.
Human Capital Managers directly manage a Human Capital Coordinator to support a particular network of schools, and these pairs form the Human Capital Staffing Team, which provides excellent support and service to school leaders and central office department managers.
- Establish and maintain a strong, positive working relationship with school school leaders and central staff to support the sourcing, assignment, induction, retention, development and performance of high-quality candidates for all school-based positions
- Support school leaders in the planning for and assignment of educational staff, including projected vacancies, excess and transfer actions, long-term substitute teacher assignments, and other HC implications of the school leader’s budgetary and staffing decision-making
- Assist the school leader in analyzing relevant human capital (HC) data regarding teacher quality, turnover, absenteeism, and other significant levers in improving workforce excellence
- Participate in the recruitment of instructional staff by collaborating with school-based hiring teams and the central-based recruitment team on best matches for vacancies
- Implement screening and selection procedures and finalize candidate eligibility before final processing
- Utilize data to make informed decisions and support school leaders in HC management
- Collaborate with the school leader/administrative team to monitor the performance of staff as related to retention
- Serve as a school leader’s single point of contact that they can trust to provide thoughtful advice and guidance and to ensure that all human capital matters are efficiently resolved, which includes brokering services and making connections between school leaders and other OHC and Central Office teams
- Spend the majority of week (3-4 days) in the field at their schools supporting school leaders and their teams while reporting to the central office at least once a week to meet as a team and maintain channels of communication to the rest of the OHC
- Oversee counsel and assistance to school administrators on a broad range of human resource issues, including school employee staffing and retention, employee training and development, labor relations and employee relations
- Collaborate with other Human Capital Managers, Human Capital Coordinators, School Leaders and Academic Superintendents to develop and implement human resources policies that strengthen the ability of schools to attract and retain the best educators and staff members
- Liaise with other teams within the Office of Human Capital to ensure the efficient and effective delivery of human resources services to School Leaders
- Oversee effective ongoing professional development opportunities to help school leaders manage human capital, including “just in time” training to school leaders on human capital related topics as requested
The Boston Public Schools, in accordance with its nondiscrimination policies, does not discriminate in its programs, facilities, or employment or educational opportunities on the basis of race, color, age, criminal record (inquiries only), disability, homelessness, sex/gender, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, genetics or military status, and does not tolerate any form of retaliation, or bias-based intimidation, threat or harassment that demeans individuals’ dignity or interferes with their ability to learn or work.
Qualifications - Required:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Robust problem solving skills and the ability to act decisively while weighing many competing priorities
- Combination of human resources and school-based instructional knowledge
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work as a team member and collaborate with others
Qualifications - Preferred:
- Previous labor relations, bargaining unit contract interpretation and/or compliance experience
- Three (3) to five (5) years prior work experience, preferably working directly with students (ex: teachers, tutors, mentors, counselors, etc.) in an urban school setting
- Master's degree in related field
Terms: Managerial, Tier C. This position subject to the City of Boston residency requirement.
Please refer to www.bostonpublicschools.org/ohc (under "Employee Benefits and Policies") for more information on salary and compensation. Salaries are listed by Unions and Grade/Step.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Apply via TalentEd: https://bostonpublicschools.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=15330
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert