Development and Communications Coordinator
Horizons at San Francisco Friends School
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
City: San Francisco
Postal code: 94103
Country: United States
$0 - $1M
Based on a national model, Horizons at SFFS is a public/private partnership hosted by the San Francisco Friends School. The mission of Horizons is to provide a transformational summer and year round learning program that closes the opportunity and achievement gaps for low-income, K-8th grade public school students in the Mission District of San Francisco.
Horizons at SFFS is seeking an enthusiastic, professional self-starter to serve in the role of Development and Communications Coordinator. Working closely with the ED, this role will provide coordination of and support for the development and communication efforts for the organization.
The ideal candidate has experience in fundraising (including grant writing), communications, graphic design, event planning, and working with databases. S/he is comfortable working in a young organization with a small year round staff and is detail-oriented, organized, and able to manage multiple priorities and deadlines. S/he possesses a personal commitment to educational equity and social justice and a strong desire to make a difference in the lives of low-income students and families.
The position will provide a broad range of responsibilities and professional development and is a great view into the needs, opportunities, and operations of a small, community based nonprofit that is a public/private partnership. The Development and Communications Coordinator reports to the Executive Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The Development and Communications Coordinator will support the growth and impact of Horizons’ youth program, and work to leverage resources, develop systems, and advance communications within and beyond the host school community and to support the ED and Board in achieving Horizons at SFFS’ annual fundraising objectives.
Work closely with the ED, Board Development Committee, and others across all aspects of development to facilitate the success of Horizons’ fundraising efforts by
○ Using data to inform development and communications processes, presenting data to relevant parties to drive decision making, and coordinating improvements to the database
○ Reviewing current fundraising events and efforts and identifying areas to expand on these, and proposing and developing systems, strategies, and schedules for donor outreach, segmentation, communication, cultivation, and stewardship, with a focus on relationship building and the implementation of a successful major donor program
○ Creating Annual Appeal campaign materials, manage the appeal’s distribution, analyze results, and make recommendations to the ED and Development Committee to increase reach, participation, and gift level
○ Managing all aspects of the contact database including updating all constituent information, producing mailing labels and lists, creating and updating donor reports
○ Cultivating relationships with current and prospective donors, local businesses, community partners, and members of the SFFS faculty and staff, particularly those in the business, development and communications offices. Welcome visitors to the summer program and, when appropriate, solicit both in-kind and monetary support for Horizons.
○ Overseeing and improving the gift acknowledgement process, ensuring all gifts and pledges are stewarded in a timely fashion; generating pledge reminders, communicating and coordinating with the SFFS departments responsible for processing donations
○ Researching foundation and corporate grant prospects and supporting the timely submission and tracking of proposals and reports to funders
○ Creating and managing systems, schedules and strategies for Horizons’ annual winter benefit. Coordinating publicity, sponsorships, event software, and ticket sales, processing gifts, and supporting other event needs as appropriate.
Marketing and Communications:
Design marketing and communications materials that share the organization’s story in ways that deepen awareness and understanding and build support and community both internally and externally, including:
○ Horizons at SFFS’ website
○ Print and digital publications for a variety of audiences, including writing and editing
newsletters and creating presentations, videos, brochures, annual reports, event
materials, and other special communications.
○ Photos, videos and other relevant materials
○ Horizons at SFFS’ social network presence, including Facebook and Twitter
Work as a team player with Horizons staff and volunteers to support the quality and impact of Horizons programs, including:
○ Supervising, training, and supporting youth and adult volunteers in the summer and throughout the year
○ Publicizing and helping plan program-wide events and activities, including the summer’s visitor’s days
○ Problem-solving as issues occur, manage workflow and provide coordination for projects as assigned by supervisor
○ Providing administrative support as needed, including coordinating mailings, making photocopies, editing and compiling materials, and ordering supplies
○ Building positive, collaborative relationships with Horizons students, families, volunteers, and staff and contribute to a safe, respectful, challenging and inclusive learning environment for all.
○ Other duties as assigned
● 2+ years experience in a development and/or marketing or communications role
● Passionate about Horizons at SFFS’ mission and vision
● Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, discretion, good judgement, and sense of
● Reliable, collaborative and flexible
● Ability to relate effectively to a diverse community and to connect with Horizons’ staff,
volunteers, partners, consultants, board members, children, and parents.
● Exceptional writing, proofreading, and graphic design skills
● Demonstrated excellence in time management, organizational skills, and attention to detail
● Experience working with low income families of color, including immigrant and monolingual
● Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
● Ability to learn from feedback, handle multiple projects, work both independently and
collaboratively, and produce quality results on schedule
● Demonstrated ability with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Google Apps, Adobe
Photoshop and/or InDesign, and familiarity with database (Salesforce) and website
● 4-year College degree
● Event planning skills and experience
● Experience in developing and organizing proposals and presentations for various audiences
● Fluency in spoken and written Spanish
● Experience with and passion for working with children and youth
This position includes vacation, health, dental, retirement, and vision benefits.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please upload a resume and cover letter, outlining your skills and experience. (Word format, please) to Abby Rovner, Director of Horizons at San Francisco Friends School at [email protected] with subject line “Horizons Development and Communications Coordinator”.
Horizons at San Francisco Friends School is an equal opportunity employer.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert