External Affairs Associate
Sheltering Arms NY
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Human Services
City: New York
Postal code: 10001
State: New York
Country: United States
At Sheltering Arms, our goal is to foster a society where every child and family we serve will have the opportunity to succeed and thrive. We address the effects of social inequity in the most challenged communities in New York City. Our innovative programs and compassionate services measurably enhance the education, well-being, and development of children, their families, and communities. We have maintained an unwavering commitment to our mission since 1831.
We are seeking an External Affairs Associate to lead some of our most inspirational initiatives for external audiences and Sheltering Arms staff. As a member of the Development and Communications team, you’ll be responsible for key awareness-building and stewardship projects and events. You’ll be a go-to person for a wide range of stakeholders and find innovative ways to bring them together to advance Sheltering Arms’ external affairs objectives.
You’ll be joining the team at an exciting time for Sheltering Arms, as we continue to significantly increase our child welfare, foster care and juvenile justice programming. With the addition of new partner, Safe Space, we have expanded our service delivery to over 20,000 New Yorkers in need from the Bronx to Far Rockaway.
You’ll play a key role in defining our message to both the private and public sector, as we seek to substantially increase our private giving revenue. As our External Affairs Associate, you’ll partner with key people across the Sheltering Arms family of staff and supporters to grow our brand identification and financial support. You’ll report to the Director of Individual Giving and Campaigns and serve as our department’s key representative for several priority initiatives.
The Development and Communications team at Sheltering Arms fuels the growth and impact of the organization through fundraising, branding, marketing, and volunteer management initiatives. We’re a growing team with a strong belief in life-transforming results for our communities; a healthy balance between our personal and professional lives; and an ongoing desire to innovate, improve, and enjoy the journey. You’re a good fit for our team if you also believe in:
- Inspiring everyone, all the time, at every moment
- Giving supporters a stake in the future of our organization
- The power of word of mouth and advocacy
- Brands that are based in experiences, conversations, and the customer
- Taking action and fighting back against the status quo
- Partner with the Director of Individual Giving and Campaigns to conceptualize and lead stewardship initiatives for our donors like small- and large-scale events and communication.
- Support the Chief Development Officer and Director of Individual Giving and Campaigns to maintain relationships with donors so they continually feel inspired and driven by Sheltering Arms’ work.
- Manage the donor stewardship calendar and database to make sure we’re communicating with our donors and other external audiences at the right time, in the right way.
- Manage logistics for key events, including the annual gala, our premiere event for raising private revenue and building champions.
- Lead our Winter Wonders Holiday Gift Drive to ensure that thousands of children enrolled in our programs receive new gifts during the holiday season.
- Successfully interface with vendors, donors, staff, and anyone else who might be involved with events to ensure seamless execution of and satisfaction among audiences.
- Make Sheltering Arms an ideal partner for individuals, community organizations, and corporations by managing an exciting mix of one-off, periodic, and ongoing volunteer events.
- Lead the Hero Council, our incredible group of professionals who contribute their expertise and time toward Sheltering Arms’ mission. Manage relationships with the group, recruit new members, and support their efforts throughout the year.
Marketing and development support:
- Be one of the most popular people in Sheltering Arms by building a wide range of deep relationships that get you the stories, information, and access we need to strengthen our work.
- Work with the Director of Marketing to imagine and execute marketing campaigns and initiatives.
- Support the Development team on priority fundraising proposals and occasional management of Salsa Labs, our donor CRM system.
- Dedication and passion for social change, with a clear commitment to our mission of transforming lives for families and communities in need;
- Bachelor’s degree and at least two years of related experience in events management, project management, and/or marketing/external relations;
- More than just a team player; you strive to make sure everyone on the team succeeds personally and professionally;
- You’re “people first” with a wide range of experience with diverse stakeholders, and it shows in the way you speak, write, and operate;
- Being organized is a way of life and the very thought of dropping the ball, even in basketball or football, makes you cringe;
- You’re so strong with event management that your friends and family ask you to organize their weddings, birthdays, baby shower…..(OK you get the idea)
- People enjoy working with you and you can provide it thru wide range external relations accomplishments (having a lot of “likes” and “retweets” might or might not be applicable)
- You enjoy learning about people and their interests, and take pleasure in responding to what they need before they even ask for it;
- Familiarity with Salsa Labs or similar CRM is a plus
- Knowledge of social services for high-need communities is a plus
- You thrive in fast paced environments and get bored when things are too slow or too easy
Less than $60k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please, apply thought the link on organization's website:
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert