Senior Director of Development
Civic Hall Labs, Inc.
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Science/Technology
City: New York
Postal code: 10011
State: New York
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
Civic Hall is the nation’s leading center for learning and collaboration focused on advancing civic tech and problem-solving for the public good. Our mission is to embed civic values wherever technology and society meet, and to help people discover new ways of embodying those values in their work and life.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, and in partnership with the CEO and President, the Senior Director of Development will spearhead development efforts as Civic Hall moves into a phase of substantial growth. A new position in the organization, the Senior Director will have the opportunity to grow strategy and operations for the organization’s development function, and will be tasked with managing a 3-year capital campaign.
The Senior Director of Development:
- Establishes and implements short and long-range resource development strategies, goals, objectives, and strategic planning in conjunction with the leadership team (CEO, President, COO) and the Board of Directors
- Develops, in tandem with the fund development team, finance team and leadership team, the organization’s resource budget, monitors team performance on a monthly basis and maintains an on-going forecast for year-end projections
- Oversees fundraising activities to support the resource development goals of the organization including the capital campaign, foundation and government grants, corporate sponsorship, individual giving, and major gifts
- Serves as a member of the frontline fundraising team alongside the leadership team
- Will collaborates with the leadership team, other staff, and existing consultants to plan and execute a successful capital campaign, including securing public and private funding
- Provides support to Board of Directors, stakeholder groups, and leadership team for highest level donor cultivation and solicitation activities
- Defines metrics and measurements that quantify performance against goals and institutionalizes a system for obtaining and reporting those metrics and measurements for resource development
- Work with program staff to manage the creation and writing of compelling proposals for general and project-related grants and ensure timely reporting on achievement of program and project goals
- Proactively ensures that the organization develops strong long term relationships with large scale individual, foundation and corporate donors/funders. Personally builds and maintains key relationships to ensure fund development strategy is achieved
- Ensures establishment of a diverse donor base of individual, corporate, foundation, and public segments
- Ensures meaningful and effective partnerships with key public and private sector entities
- Develops innovative recognition opportunities and materials and events for continuity and donor stewardship
- Advises the leadership team, board members, and staff of current resources, trends, obstacles, and developments in revenue generation and donor relations
- Collaborates with the marketing team on the publication of fundraising-related materials, including an Annual Report
- Works closely with the program directors to ensure that programs have the resources to meet short and long range goals/objectives
Reports To: This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position supervises a Development Assistant.
Work Environment: This position is performed inside, in a temperature controlled environment, with noise limited to that of a typical office environment.
Physical Demands: This position requires sitting or standing, and occasional bending and lifting of up to 10 lbs.
Status: This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position and not eligible for overtime. Salary is set at an annual amount and paid in substantially equal installments on a semi-monthly basis in accordance with Civic Hall’s standard payroll practices for salaried employees, currently administered by Justworks.
Benefits: This position is eligible for Civic Hall’s benefits, including medical, dental, and vision coverage, paid time off and holidays.
Expected Hours of Work: Typical hours are Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., although there is substantial flexibility in the exact hours.
Travel: This position may require some travel.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications: There are no additional eligibility qualifications for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Civic Hall is committed to building a stronger, diverse, and mission-driven team to serve the community we know, respect, and love. We are an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from or who have worked closely with historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families. When applying, please include information about your unique background.
- 7 to 10+ years of experience in nonprofit fundraising
- Experience successfully planning and executing capital campaigns
- Proven track record of successfully securing funds from foundations, government, corporations, and individuals
- Experience with developing and executing strategic fundraising plans
- Excellent connections to the NYC philanthropic community
- Experience managing development staff
- Ability to quickly develop rapport and establish relationships
- Excellent writing skills, including proofreading and editing skills; outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, organize workload, manage competing demands, meet deadlines, and set and achieve ambitious goals
- Ability to collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders, including public end-users, government, nonprofits, philanthropy, and corporations
- Familiarity with civic technology a plus
- Familiarity with New York City tech scene a plus
- Familiarity with any CRM required; familiarity with Salesforce a plus
- Shares a commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Team spirit and sense of humor appreciated
Competitive health, dental, and vision benefits provided via Justworks
Unlimited PTO for full-time employees
12 Paid Holidays
$140k - 155k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please apply via Workable: https://workable.com/j/00970C7FBB
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert