Chief Executive Officer
Repair the World
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Other
City: New York
Postal code: 10036
State: New York
Country: United States
About Repair the World:
Repair the World’s (Repair) mission is to make service a defining element of American Jewish life. By bringing meaningful service to the forefront of Jewish life, Repair engages volunteers, young Jewish adults in particular, across the country in a range of service opportunities and connects volunteers to national and global service movements. These opportunities create bridges both to their local and to the greater, national Jewish community.
Repair provides a platform for tens of thousands of volunteers to tackle pressing local needs and equips communities and partners to do the same. Repair’s signature program, Repair the World Communities, engages young adults in social change around education and food justice in Atlanta, Baltimore, Detroit, Miami, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and New York City. Each city supports a cohort of fellows (ages 21-26) who make year-long service commitment to Repair. Fellows work closely with local nonprofits to create authentic, impactful volunteering and educational opportunities. The organization also prioritizes its work as a national platform organization, inspiring and equipping hundreds of local organizations in other cities through partnerships, resource sharing, digital campaigns, holiday service days, training, consultations and toolkits.
Repair is headquartered in New York City, is governed by a 19-member Board of Directors and has an annual operating budget of approximately $6.5 million.
Repair is at an amazing moment of opportunity for this next CEO, as the organization responds to demand from new cities, deepens national partnerships, expands its field-building platform and adds new members to their Executive Team. More information about Repair the World can be found on the web at: https://werepair.org/
Repair’s Baord of Directors seeks an inspiring Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”) to provide strategic vision, leadership and managerial oversight for this dynamic national organization entering the next phase of strategic growth. This is an extraordinary opportunity for a passionate, entrepreneurial and visionary leader to build a national Jewish service movement that will propel service to the forefront of Jewish life, transform individual lives, benefit communities in need, and reinvigorate Jewish experience and engagement, while making a measurable and lasting difference in repairing our world.
The CEO will communicate the vision of Repair’s efforts to make service an integral part of Jewish life and to be a leading Jewish voice in the national and global service movements. They will need to inspire, motivate and lead a national Jewish movement of volunteerism, civic engagement, and service-learning. They will be responsible for scaling the organization, maximizing impact, energizing the staff, allocating financial resources, and securing new resources. The CEO, in collaboration with the Board and staff, is responsible for shaping the direction and implementing an effective and streamlined operating plan and a nimble organizational infrastructure required to achieve the plan’s strategic, operational and growth goals.
The CEO will spend significant time traveling, presenting at national conferences and other public forums; building and maintaining relationships with existing and prospective funders, and undertaking other activities to communicate the message of service and its power to transform lives and communities and to make a difference in the world.
Leadership & Executive Management
- Provide strategic vision and leadership for Repair in service of it’s mission, with a primary goal to evolve and scale the organization for maximum impact.
- Make Repair one of the most sought after places to work in the Jewish nonprofit space by empowering staff to maximize productivity, ensure professional excellence, and promote teamwork
- Implement systems to track progress of overall strategy, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
- Organize and manage staff and professional operations so that Repair achieves its strategic priorities
- Effectively communicate mission and strategy to strategic partners, national and communcal, funders, and volunteers.
- Create new and refine existing processes to enhance infrastructure for growth
- Promote a positive and inclusive work environment throughout the organization
- Steward foundation funding and promote deep philanthropic engagement of trustees
- Develop and solicit, autonomously and with Board members and/or professional staff, major gifts to support the organization and/or specific program areas
- Mobilize and inspire the Board and staff to deepen the focus on and prioritization of resource development needs
- Promote consistent communications about the operation of the organization that is compelling to stakeholders
- Build relationships and deepen enthusiasm amongst Federations and other institutions within the Jewish philanthropic world toward direct support and collaborative fundraising efforts
Governance and Financial Oversight
- Communicate regularly with the Board about execution of mission and strategy
- Steward relationships with board members and agency volunteers to ensure a pipeline of future lay leaders
- Deepen and diversify Board involvement to advance the organization’s mission and to meet strategic objectives
- Build alignment with the board
- Possess keen analytical skills, budget and business acumen to closely monitor financial status
- Regularly evaluate the management and status of all financial resources and procedures
- Work closely with the volunteer leadership and staff responsible for finance and administration, ensuring fiscal oversight and accountability
The CEO must be an authentic and powerful voice who can both propel service to the forefront of Jewish life, while providing inspirational and organizational leadership as the field continues to evolve and expand. The CEO should combine the role of visionary spokesperson for Jewish service with that of an adept manager who can build and lead an organization across multiple cities and manage it in an ever changing, fast-paced environment. The CEO must have demonstrated experience as a strategic and effective fundraiser. The CEO should be relationship-oriented and self-aware, possessing the ability to bring people together and motivate individuals and organizations to expand their thinking and take action. The CEO should have the experience and passion to inspire and build a movement that elevates service as a defining element of American Jewish life.
This position description is based upon material provided by Repair the World, an equal opportunity employer. The organization provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, national origin, disability condition, marital status, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. In addition, the organization affirmatively seeks to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity as it applies to all policies and procedures relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Repair the World welcomes applications from people of diverse experiences, including people with diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds; and encourage people of color and lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and gender non-conforming people as well as women and differently abled people to apply.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To apply to this position please visit http://drgsearch.com/current-searches/?rpid=218608&postid=pKaJBvTVoog&webapp=1
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert