Director of Philanthropy and Engagement
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Human Services
Postal code: 02143
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
RESPOND, Inc., a pioneer in the movement to end domestic violence, is New England's first domestic violence agency and the second oldest in the nation. Since its inception in 1974, RESPOND has provided safety and support to over 100,000 victims of domestic violence including adults, teens and children. Through its Community Program, RESPOND provides a 24-hour crisis hotline, individual counseling, advocacy, support groups and children services. The Shelter Program provides safe, confidential housing and comprehensive supportive services to 8 families or 21 individuals at a time. More information about RESPOND, Inc can be found at www.respondinc.org
RESPOND, Inc., located in Somerville, MA, seeks a Director of Philanthropy and Engagement to develop and implement a fundraising and communications strategy that will increase revenue streams as well as promote the profile of the agency. The Director of Philanthropy and Engagement reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer, serves as a member of the senior leadership team and provides strategic vision that ensures the continued delivery of resources that fund RESPOND’s continuum of programming.
RESPOND, Inc., a pioneer in the movement to end domestic violence, is New England's first domestic violence agency and the second oldest in the nation. More information about RESPOND can be found at www.respondinc.org
About the Opportunity:
The Director of Philanthropy and Engagement will be responsible for leading the overall fundraising messages and strategies for RESPOND. Responsible for a department comprised of one full time Development and Engagement Coordinator, a part-time Grant Writer and a team of many volunteers, this leader will provide direction in all areas of fundraising and donor engagement. This is a unique opportunity to join a team of specialized executives working to end domestic violence in Eastern Massachusetts and beyond. This position is part of a collaborative team that provides organizational oversight to ensure effectiveness and growth of the agency.
Provide oversight of all P&E staff and resource development programs, including:
- Fundraising Leadership: Create an active pipeline of prospective donors to secure major gifts, create and manage a portfolio of prospects through solicitation, and engage others in the cultivation and solicitation process. Maintain and develop new contacts with funders, both individuals and institutions, and build the involvement of the CEO and Board members in the solicitation and donor stewardship processes.
- Expand corporate and foundation support: work with the Development and Engagement Coordinator and the Grant Writer to expand and improve the current Foundation Grants, Corporate and Institutional Giving strategy.
- Communications:Develop and publish fundraising related materials (including annual report, newsletters, brochures, website content) and materials including special events, honorees and spokespersons, cultivation and marketing opportunities.
- Communicate development strategies to, and develop clear talking points for, the executive staff and board of directors. Provide materials in advance of meetings and events.
- Oversee the recruitment and selection process of staff, consultants, and volunteers as required to carry out the goals and objectives of the department.
- Direct mail and on-line giving
- Special Events, including Gala and other major events with the public
- Provide staff leadership to the Board of Directors and the Events Committee.
- Oversee the implementation of data management systems and fundraising records for all fundraising activities in coordination with the Finance Department.
- Prepare an Annual Plan that outlines goals and objectives for the department
- Supervise P&E Department staff, consultants and vendors as required.
- Work closely with the CEO to assess fundraising needs as determined by strategic plan goals, annual plan priorities and operating needs.
- Focus on Stewardship; RESPOND donors and supporters are among its most valuable assets.
- Minimum 7 years direct fundraising experience
- Proven leadership in development areas of major giving, corporate giving, individual giving; large events, sponsorships, and communications
- Experience with large events, corporate donations and sponsorships and individual giving
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills, including identifying issues and prioritizing competing priorities.
- Advanced project-management, team-management and donor-management skills. Ability to achieve results with only general supervision while keeping key players in the know.
- Experience supervising key internal and external stakeholders and relationships. Proven ability to collaborate across departments to implement processes and achieve results, as well as to work collaboratively with a small, dedicated team. Track record of building and maintaining productive relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- Highly organized, with ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently and respond to a high volume of ongoing requests in a timely fashion.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment. Must have a sense of humor!
- Personable style with effective presentation skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to articulate RESPOND’s mission to a wide range of audiences in a variety of ways.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and skill set essential. Come with a 'can do!' approach!
- Familiarity with software, including donor or related databases, presentation software and social media platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Moderate travel in Massachusetts required—reliable transportation essential.
At RESPOND, we work hard and play hard. We have excellent time off-benefits, a collaborative (and shared-space) work environment. If you have a passion for raising money to fund programs that help people affected by domestic violence, you might be a fit for our team! Be prepared to roll up your sleeves, we are an inclusive, all-hands-on-deck environment!
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $65,000.00 to $80,000.00 /yea
- fundraising: 7 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's (Required), Master's (Preferred)
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please provide Resume and Cover Letter. Thank you.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert