HR / Talent Manager
The Primary School
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Human Resources/Recruiting
Primary domain: Education
City: East Palo Alto
Postal code: 94303
Country: United States
The Primary School integrates education, health care, and family support services to dramatically improve outcomes for underserved children. Our holistic model enables children to lead lives that are meaningful and healthy - emotionally, mentally, and physically.
ABOUT THE ROLE
At The Primary School, we seek to build a game-changing and replicable system of care for children. This requires a community of talented and committed staff who believe deeply in the value of integrating across historically siloed systems of education, health and family supports. From managing new hire onboarding, overseeing benefits & HR compliance, administering special leaves and handling employee relations, the HR Manager will be a key partner in our talent management strategy. This person will work closely with the Director of Talent to lead, implement and deliver human resources strategies, policies and services for TPS, along with develop the HR systems and processes that will allow our organization to scale and execute our vision.RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build and execute against talent development strategy
- Develop, maintain, and execute on-boarding and exit processes in partnership with other members of the Talent team to create a values-aligned experience for our staff from day 1 to end of employment
- Execute & improve the performance management process
- In coordination with Director of Talent, develop & own our centralized professional development plans
- Drive diversity, equity and inclusion efforts across our hiring and day-to-day practices
- Execute on special projects as needed
- Manage all aspects of employee benefits
- Oversee Benefits Administration and systems, including planning and collaborating with vendors and brokers to administer services to employees
- Manage and administer time-off and leaves of absence, including processing leave requests, determining eligibility, and coordinating with all applicable parties to administer FMLA, state mandated leaves, and company specific policies. Partner with Finance as needed.
- Lead and execute annual open enrollment cycle and support benefits renewal, shaping what it means for us to offer an excellent benefits package
- Answer employees questions regarding benefit plan eligibility, plan provisions and intercede when necessary with benefit providers
- Maintain all benefits documentation (including plan documents, amendments, summary plan descriptions, and 403(b)) and coordinate compliance with other benefit requirements
- Oversee HR Administration and Policies
- Keep abreast of all regulatory compliance for all TPS locations
- Coordinate and manage all HR Administration, including offer letters, offer packages, orientation packages, new hire orientation, termination and COBRA, and electronic and physical personnel file maintenance
- Implement employment-policy development and management and update the TPS employee manual
- Serve as the point of contact for all staff for employee relations
- Own Compliance & Safety
- Oversee employee status changes, classifications, and reclassifications, and associated notifications
- Manage company compliance with all existing labor, legal and government reporting and posting requirements including any related to the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Department of Labor, Workers Compensation, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and so forth
- Fulfill scheduled and ad hoc employee data/report requests while ensuring the highest levels of data protection/security
- Support the training of staff and supervisors on compliance issues (sexual harassment, wage and hour, etc.)
- Provide consultation to senior leaders and employees on employee relations issues
A Plus If
- You are passionate about The Primary School’s vision and goal of creating a game-changing and replicable model. You’re excited about being on the ground floor of shaking things up and taking the lead in developing scalable systems and processes.
- You have significant Human Resources experience and are passionate about the role HR plays in supporting an organization’s goals. You know what a well-built out HR function looks like and are excited to help TPS build out systems & processes. You have a bachelor’s and 3-5 years of HR experience or a master’s degree in HR management and 2 years of experience in the HR field, or seven+ years of experience in the HR field, or any similar combination of education and experience.
- You treat everyone like a client. You think of your job as client service. Whether it’s the CEO or a junior level staff, you aim to deliver an experience that is representative of The Primary School’s values and principles, because you know that every interaction speaks to who we are.
- You are exceptionally detail oriented and have a high level of integrity. You have excellent judgement in decision-making and the ability to communicate powerfully. You have the ability to maintain strict confidentiality and exercise discretion in personnel matters at all times
- You have demonstrated expertise in managing projects, balancing multiple commitments, and adapting effectively while ensuring accuracy and timeliness. You have an ability to tolerate a high degree of ambiguity while being a collaborative team player with a “can do” attitude; willing to roll up sleeves and do whatever it takes to support team priorities
- You have experience working in schools or the education field
- You have HR certification
- You have experience administering leave of absences
- You have experience implementing HR systems
- You are familiar with East Palo Alto or Belle Haven and/or have experience working with a community similar to East Palo Alto and Belle Haven.
- You speak fluent Spanish.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please visit our website to learn more and apply!
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert