Position: Facilitator (i.e. Lead Compass Coach, San Antonio)
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Type: Part-Time Consultant
nXu (www.nxueducation.org) is a non-profit program whose mission is to catalyze a diverse community of youth to explore, articulate, and pursue their purpose. nXu believes that a sense of purpose acts as an inner compass that—when combined with skills training and community support—allows young people to live in alignment with their highest potential. As an emerging youth-driven network, nXu brings together racially and socioeconomically diverse cohorts of high schoolers from different school types for unconventional, immersive, city-based purpose explorations fueled by a volunteer team of coaches. nXu participants take advantage of their home city as a foundational resource to build their community, know themselves, expand their perspective, take initiative, and, most importantly, develop a sense of purpose.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
nXu is seeking an exceptional Lead Compass Coach to serve as the lead facilitator of nXu’s programming in San Antonio during the 2019-20 school year. The Lead Compass Coach will facilitate nXu’s flagship offering which is a selective, one year, out-of-school, fellowship program that brings together ~30 of San Antonio's most promising 10th graders from an intentionally diverse array of high schools. nXu Fellows gather 14 Sundays throughout the school year from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. during which the Lead Compass Coach, along with volunteer coaches, guide students through a series of immersive learning experiences, activities, conversations, and reflections to help students develop an understanding of their purpose in life. In addition to facilitating the nXu fellowship, the Lead Coach Coach will facilitate nXu programming in at least one San Antonio high school. Overall, the time commitment will range between 10 to 15 hours per week.
The ideal Lead Compass Coach will not only possess excellent facilitation skills but will also exhibit leadership and enthusiasm that inspires fellows, parents, volunteers, and other members of the San Antonio community to invest in our mission. The Facilitator will receive coaching and support from nXu’s national Compass Director. Logistically, s/he will need to be available to facilitate the nXu fellowship program on the following 15 Sundays which includes a participant interview day: 10/5/19, 10/20/19, 11/3/19, 11/17/19, 12/8/19, 12/15/19, 1/12/20, 1/26/20, 2/2/20, 2/9/20, 3/1/20, 3/29/20, 4/5/20, 4/26/20, 5/10/20. S/he will also need to be available for in-school programming days (specific days TBD).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Program Leadership and Facilitation: Lead nXu’s San Antonio fellowship and in-school programming and ensure that the programmatic implementation aligns with the organizational mission and vision. Serve as the lead facilitator for all nXu sessions to drive participant learning and mastery of each practice. Implement the centrally developed nXu program and curriculum and ensure high quality experiences for students and volunteers.
- Culture Development: Cultivate and create a safe and exciting atmosphere for nXu participants to be curious and vulnerable during nXu programming.
- Participant Management: Ensure nXu participants are fully engaged and support them as they navigate their nXu experience during and between each session.
- Operations: Manage pre-session operational preparation as well as session day operations.
- Participant Recruitment & Selection: Support the recruitment and selection of students from district, charter, and private schools to participate in the 2019-20 fellowship.
- Volunteer Management: With support from the nXu Compass Director, select, train, coach and support volunteers to effectively navigate nXu’s core curriculum and maximize student outcomes.
- Program Improvement: Provide feedback on the curriculum and fellowship to ensure nXu improves its programming over time.
- Partnership Management: With support from the nXu team, foster programmatic partners in San Antonio.
- Program Representation: Serve as a positive representative of nXu within the San Antonio community.
- Schedule Availability: Ensure availability for nXu fellowship session dates (~15 weekend days during the 2019-20 school year) and for in-school session dates (~15 week days during the 2019-20 school year).
- Other Duties: Perform other related duties as required and assigned.