Director of Development
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Youth Development
Postal code: 02144
Country: United States
$10M - $20M
YouthBuild’s mission is to unleash the intelligence, positive energy and skill sets of low-income young people to rebuild their communities and their lives. We seek to join with others to help build a movement toward a more just society in which respect, love, responsibility, and cooperation are the dominant unifying values, and a reasonable distribution of resources provides sufficient opportunities for all people in all communities to fulfill their own potential and contribute to the well being of others.
The Director of Development will have responsibility for the overall performance and effectiveness of the Development Department of YouthBuild USA (YBUSA). The Director will be a dynamic, collaborative leader who possesses deep experience in the nonprofit sector and whose background includes previous experience as a key member of a development department that successfully raised millions of dollars for multiple programs from varied sources.
The Director of Development will focus on the following areas: stewarding relationships with current and potential donors, ensuring excellence for all department activities, and building a new Development team. Internally, s/he will galvanize the entire YouthBuild USA staff around fundraising efforts and will be responsible for ensuring performance against both annual objectives and the objectives of YBUSA’s new strategic plan. Externally, the Director of Development will be one of YouthBuild USA’s foremost ambassadors.
Reporting to the Chief Strategy Officer, the Director of Development will work closely with the leaders of all other YBUSA departments as well as with the YBUSA Board of Directors. The Director will have the opportunity to build a team by hiring two additional staff members. This is a terrific opportunity for a talented and experienced development professional who wants to build a high-functioning, collaborative Development department.
Building a new Development team
- Develop a staffing plan for Development that supports the accomplishment of departmental and organizational goals.
- Supervise the recruitment process for new Development team members.
- Serve as a coach to new members of the department.
Stewarding relationships with current and potential donors
- Steward relationships with all current donors and cultivate new individual donors, foundations, and corporations.
- Represent YBUSA at meetings with funders, often in collaboration with YBUSA’s Executive Leadership Team.
- Provide leadership and training to staff and Board on fundraising efforts, including the sharing of best practices and providing tools, information, and resources to strengthen fundraising efforts.
- Work directly with Board and build Board support and participation in fundraising efforts.
Ensuring excellence for all department activities
- Lead a collaborative process with team members to construct annual goals, budget, work plan, and calendar.
- Supervise staff to produce high-quality proposals, reports, and correspondence.
- Conduct and supervise prospect research.
- Develop and execute processes to ensure effective reporting, tracking, acknowledgments, receipts and other correspondence with donors.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; Master’s degree a plus.
- Previous fundraising experience for a social service nonprofit, ideally with multiple programs and which raises millions of dollars from private sources.
- Experience with all elements of a multi-pronged fundraising approach, including special events, major gifts and planned giving.
- Proven ability to establish, steward, and grow relationships with existing and potential donors.
- Experience with submitting successful grant proposals to governmental entities is a plus.
- 5+ years of management experience.
- Unwavering commitment to organizational excellence in organizational and project management, with the ability to achieve strategic objectives while simultaneously managing multiple complicated projects.
- Exceptional communication and influencing skills; persuasive, credible and polished communicator.
- Creative, independent, and strategic thinker.
- Exceptional people management skills; track record of effectively leading an outcome-driven staff; ability to collaborate productively with diverse groups of people at all levels of the organization.
- Flexibility and adaptability, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Demonstrated passion for YBUSA’s mission.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
If you are interested in learning more about YouthBuild USA, please visit our website at www.youthbuild.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, you may apply online @ https://www.youthbuild.org/open-positions. Please apply by July 12th, 2019. YouthBuild USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vets.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert