Director of Development and Partnerships
Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: International/Foreign Affairs
City: New York
Postal code: 10065
State: New York
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
Founded in 1914 by Andrew Carnegie, Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs is a New York institution with global reach. For over 100 years, the Council has promoted voices for ethics in international relations education and policy. We convene leaders from business, government, and academia to develop practical, ethically based frameworks for issues on the technological and political frontier.
The Director of Development and Partnerships will design, articulate and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy for the organization that is aligned to achieve its ambitious new strategic plan. In 2019, the Council is launching a new line of programs that will influence public policy and raise public awareness on ethical implications of today’s most intriguing, challenging, threatening, and promising developments.
This position will work closely with the Director of Communications and External Affairs and Chief Executive Officer to support the vision, goals, and strategy for increasing and diversifying the foundation, corporate, and individual donor bases.
- Serve as the primary architect and implementer for all fundraising initiatives.
- Partner with and support the Chief Executive Officer, Director of Communications and External Affairs, and Board of Directors to advance the Council’s fundraising goals.
- Steward and grow the pipeline of major gift donors and manage a portfolio of individual donors, including the direct solicitation of major gifts and planned giving.
- Create briefing memos, presentations, and other materials for senior leadership in preparation for donor meetings.
- Oversee institutional giving that identifies, cultivates, and sustains multi-year foundation partnerships.
- Update and maintain the infrastructure for streamlined fundraising operations with a particular focus on alignment between development and finance teams.
- Support the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors in other development-related initiatives as needed.
- Track prospect and donor contacts in an internal database and determine follow-up as needed.
- Establish development benchmarks and evaluating progress against fundraising goals.
- A strategic thinker with a focus on improving systems and coordinating efforts to reach the Council’s strategic fundraising goal.
- A proven track record of success in team leadership.
- An ability to secure funding from diverse sources – including major donors, foundations, and corporations.
- Ability to interact professionally with dedicated Board and staff members who have diverse backgrounds, professional skills, and perspectives.
- Flexibility and a proven ability to innovate and find creative solutions to challenges.
- Bachelor's Degree in the humanities or social sciences, preferably in International Relations, Political Science, Philosophy, or related disciplines.
- Exceptional writing, communication, and analytical skills.
- Familiar with nonprofit organizations and funders.
- Strong follow-through and attention to detail; proven ability to set and meet deadlines and benchmarks.
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in a development role, with a proven track record of soliciting and closing major gifts.
- Experience in database management and administration strongly preferred.
Compensation and Benefits:
Carnegie Council offers a competitive salary; three weeks’ paid vacation per year plus additional sick and personal leave time; health, dental, and vision plans; a public transportation subsidy; and generous 401k contributions after one year of employment.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter, along with a short writing sample to Melissa Semeniuk at [email protected] with the subject title " Director of Development and Partnerships."
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert