HelpAge USA Board Member Responsibilities:
1. Determine the organization's mission, values, and strategic goals and approve annual plans. Ensure effective strategic organizational planning and evaluation.
2. Select the Chief Executive. Support the CEO and assess his or her performance.
3. Provide financial oversight and ensure adequacy and mission alignment of resources.
4. Ensure legal and ethical integrity and maintain accountability.
5. Recruit and orient new board members and assess board performance.
6. Enhance the organization's public standing.
7. Serve on at least one committee (e.g. finance, governance, communications, fundraising) and be open to special assignments or leadership roles.
8. Commit to serving at least one two year term. Attend two in person full day meetings per year, held in Washington, DC, and participate in 6-8 conference calls of 90 minutes.
9. Avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest, and disclose any possible conflicts to the board in a timely fashion.
10. Be a passionate ambassador for HelpAge USA. Follow trends in organizational fields of interest, including global development and aging.
11. Contribute to HelpAge and encourage contributions from others.
12. Bring your best ideas, good will, and enthusiasm to the board's work and meetings.