Santa Monica Mountains Fund
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Environment
City: THOUSAND OAKS
Postal code: 91360-4223
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
The Santa Monica Mountains Fund works to protect and encourage appreciation and understanding of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area. The Fund achieves this by supporting National Park Service efforts in education, science, research, improved facilities, citizen engagement, stewardship and philanthropy..
Santa Monica Mountains Fund (SAMO Fund) works with the National Park Service to protect and preserve the Santa Monica Mountains Recreation Area, the country’s largest urban national park and home to diverse wildlife, hiking trails and research centers. SAMO Fund provides opportunities for the public to get involved and contribute to programs that protect and enhance the appreciation of the Santa Monica Mountains: scientific research on the flora and fauna; opportunities for student internships and youth programs that bring tens of thousands of school children to attend outdoor educations classes in the mountains.
The Operations Manager reports to the Executive Director in developing, managing and maintaining the financial, administrative and operational aspects of the Fund. The future employee should ideally have an interest in the mission of SAMO Fund.
The Operations Manager should have 2 – 5 years experience working at a non-profit organization. This person should have awareness of the importance of compliance details and administrative requirements to which non-profits working with public entities must adhere.
The below summarizes the key responsibilities of the Operations Manager role.
Lead the Fund’s Day-to-Day Operations
The Operations Manager will report to the Executive Director as a full-time position. The Operations Manager will oversee the internal operations of the Fund, and have clear oversight and understanding of all the ongoing activities in order to ensure SAMO Fund staff are equipped to accomplish the organizational priorities of the fund and maintain public engagement. Working with relevant Fund staff, the Operations Manager will:
- Help to develop and execute the organization’s human resource policies, maintain performance review information, and handle staffing and new hire issues.
- Source facilities and technologies needed by staff to operate efficiently and effectively; setup and train new staff on the IT systems; manage licenses for specialized software services; and manage the organization’s two external IT contractors.
- Donor tracking
- Monitor the organization’s compliance with laws, regulations, reporting, and contracts.
- Promote diversity, equity, and inclusion across the organization and ensure all organizational policies and practices reflect an inclusive and equitable approach
- Oversee the offsite vendor that does the Fund’s accounting and bookkeeping.
- Coordinate, develop and monitor the organization’s budget
- Develop cash flow plans and ensure the availability of funds for internal operations.
- Provide needed ad hoc and regular financial reporting to management team and board
- Develop appropriate internal controls and financial procedures
- Set up and manage banking relationships
- Help coordinate audits and tax filings
- Monitor and track funding from multiple sources through the organization.
- Experience managing complex projects or initiatives with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to work independently as well as lead small teams.
- Solid computer literacy with the ability to quickly come up to speed and manage the Fund’s IT systems, which includes: security, accounting and Microsoft Office software licenses, website domain and hosting services, domain names, email service, file backup and sharing, donor management, on-line fundraising and membership management modules, social software fees and internet service fees.
- An ability to understand basic accounting practices
- Adaptability and flexibility in the face of changing conditions; tolerance for adversity and uncertainty
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Flexibility, sense of humor, humility, and confidence.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- A background in managing financial and operational systems for organizations working in complex partnership environments which may have included federal and/or state agencies would be desirable.
To be discussed.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply via email by sending a cover letter describing their qualifications that match the position criteria and what they will bring to the role, along with a resume, to Charlotte Parry at [email protected] with the subject line “Santa Monica Mountains Fund, Operations Manager.”
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert