Analyst, Advocacy Investments
Education Forward DC
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 20001
State: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Education Forward DC accelerates the work of visionary education leaders to foster a city of high-quality, equitable public schools for every DC student and family.
Position: Analyst at Education Forward DC
Reports to: Partner, Advocacy
Start date: September 2019
Location: Washington, DC
Application Deadline: July 30, 2019
The Challenge & Opportunity
Washington, DC has dramatically outperformed peer cities in overall improvement in its public schools over the last decade and is poised for further growth as the city adds approximately 3,000 new students per year to public schools. Still, only 1 in 9 of the city’s most vulnerable students (those with special education needs and those living in extreme poverty) are on track for college and career success. If unaddressed, this challenge could worsen and leave even more children behind. If addressed well, a focus on the city’s most underserved youth will raise the tide for all of DC’s students and become a force multiplier in support of educational and social justice in our nation’s capital.
Education Forward DC (Ed Forward DC) is a nonprofit grantmaking organization founded in 2016 in Washington, DC. Guided by our core values, we work to advance quality and equity in public schools to ensure that every DC student gets a great education. Specifically, our five-year goal is to double the number of underserved students who are college and career ready. Ed Forward DC accelerates the work of local leaders by aggregating and disseminating local and national philanthropic dollars to grantees who are committed to transformational change. We take an active role with each grantee in our portfolio to help them create sustainable organizations that generate breakthrough results for the students they serve.
The Advocacy team makes grants focused on four key goals:
- Ensuring that all public schools have sufficient resources that are equitably distributed to meet student need
- Supporting strong accountability policies in place to provide clear information about school performance
- Ensuring that schools have autonomy to make decisions aligned to students’ needs
- Promoting policies that advance equity for all students
Our grantees have included individual entrepreneurs, organizations, and research entities. To inform our strategy, we work closely with community-based and government partners, as well as experts across the country.
As an Analyst, you will support our Advocacy grantmaking team by conducting due diligence, making grant recommendations, and providing tailored ongoing strategic assistance to the entrepreneurs and organizations in our portfolio. In addition, you will work with us on our investment strategy for impact, ongoing data and performance analysis, landscape analysis, and network-building events focused on creating a strong community of visionary education leaders.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct due diligence on prospective grantees, including assessing performance and business plans against our grantmaking criteria and conducting market research
- Synthesize findings through rigorous written analysis to inform recommendation
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative data analysis and landscape research to inform investment strategy and grantee cultivation
- Support and/or lead management assistance, providing guidance on key strategic issues to individual grantees
- Support and/or lead internal and external meetings with key stakeholders including grantees, policymakers, and community members.
- Organize network events to foster collaboration and innovation among entrepreneurs and organizations
- Support grantmaking team-specific project management and systems management
- We work intentionally to disrupt patterns of racial inequity; a strong candidate will demonstrate an unwavering commitment to educational equity and improving public education in DC
- Collaborative team player who is excited about building strong relationships among diverse communities
- Strong strategic thinking skills to understand, frame, and address complex problems
- Superior quantitative and qualitative analysis skills
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize complex ideas and findings in oral and written communication
- Self-directed, self-starter with a track record of successfully managing multiple priorities and projects
- Personal presence necessary to effectively interact with senior internal and external stakeholders
- Proven ability to develop and present professional materials (e.g. spreadsheets, written memoranda, presentations) with a meticulous attention to detail
- Humble and responsive to feedback, with capacity to learn quickly and continuously
- Excellent technical skills, including fluency with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
Education and Experience
- We welcome candidates from a wide range of experiences and expertise, including K-12 public education, strategy, finance, advocacy, organizing, policy, public engagement, program or community development, Washington, DC, and/or entrepreneurial experience
- Minimum two years of experience
- We encourage alumni of public schools in the District of Columbia to apply
- Bachelor’s degree required
The Tangible Good
The salary range for this position is $60K-$70K. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including a 401(k) program with a 4% match that is fully vested day one, and 100% of health/dental/vision premiums fully covered.
We are Deeply Committed to Equity & Diversity
We are on a mission to build a team that reflects DC’s students, and strongly encourage candidates of color to apply. Education Forward DC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood. We encourage anyone for whom this overview resonates to apply.
$65k - 75k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert