For the past 22 years, The Moth—an acclaimed nonprofit and cultural institution—has celebrated the
art & craft of storytelling. Through true stories, told live on stage without notes, The Moth has
presented recognized storytellers alongside writers, performers, artists, and everyday people —bringing
the world together through shared experiences.
The Moth seeks a full-time Junior Accountant who will be a part of the dynamic three-person finance
team and will report to the Assistant Controller. The goal is to contribute to the overall efficiency of the
department’s operations and assist the organization in being fully aware of its financial condition in
order to support overall decision-making and long-term objectives. The Junior Accountant will be
responsible for entering financial transactions into the accounting system, such as processing incoming
payments and invoices, bank deposits and checks. The position supports the Assistant Controller and
Director of Finance and Administration with monthly account reconciliations, maintaining accurate and
organized financial records, and assisting with the annual independent audit and tax return.
We are looking for an extremely detailed oriented individual with great communication skills to provide
support to the finance department by processing and managing various accounting transactions. The
person in this role must be comfortable working independently and collaboratively as it is part of a
professional team working to maintain order and transparency for the organization’s finances.The
individual will communicate internally with staff throughout the organization and external independent
contractors working with The Moth in various capacities. The guiding principle of the work is clean,
consistent data entry so we can track the financial success and needs of our rapidly expanding
programming during a pivotal point in The Moth’s history. Applicants should be very organized and have
an interest in creating, managing, and streamlining systems to help keep this lively, vibrant operation
running smoothly. This role would be ideal for someone who relishes accuracy, organization, and high
attention to detail; loves reconciling and tying data; and is eager to do so in a mission-oriented
● General bookkeeping, verifying, recording and ensure accuracy of all transactional data including but not
limited to: A/P, A/R, bill-backs, and bank deposits recorded in the accounting system.
● Assist with the preparation of monthly closings and annual account reconciliations.
● Reconcile credit card expenses; ensure staff has completed employee statement coding and post
journals to correct accounts.
● Monitor credit card transactions and online credit card system, review and enter expense
reimbursement and credit card transactions accurately; communicate and troubleshoot with colleagues
about online credit card system.
● Respond to queries from vendors, and other departments regarding payment of bills and cash receipts.
● Work collaboratively with various internal departments to process requests in a timely fashion and
provide financial information as needed.
● Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
● File, sort, copy, scan, fax, and process all finance documentation, maintaining organized and secure files
at all times according to accounting procedures.
● Support implementation of financial operations systems as needed.
● Work with Director of Finance and Administration and Assistant Controller to prepare for the annual
audit and budgeting process.
● Additional responsibilities and projects as directed by the Director of Finance and Administration and