Product Manager - Data Systems
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Information Services/Technology
Primary domain: Education
City: San Francisco
Postal code: 94105
Country: United States
Great education transforms lives. KIPP, the Knowledge is Power Program, is a non-profit network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating nearly 100,000 early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are tuition-free, public charter schools open to all students. KIPP schools, KIPP regions, and the KIPP Foundation – are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, for us all.
The non-profit KIPP Foundation trains and develops outstanding educators to lead KIPP schools, provides tools, resources, and training for excellent teaching and learning, promotes innovation, and facilitates the exchange of insights and ideas within the KIPP network and with partners including: other charters, districts, colleges and universities, and non-profit organizations across the country.
Why work at KIPP?
By working for the KIPP Foundation, you help more students across the country receive the high-quality education they deserve.
- Support KIPP leaders, teachers, and staff on the Network Leadership Development, KIPP School Leadership Programs, Teaching and Learning Labs, KIPP Through College, or Knowledge Sharing teams
- Ensure smart growth and great results on the Network Growth and Sustainability, Strategy, Research & Evaluation, or Insights and Analytics teams
- Broaden our impact on the Government Affairs, External Impact, Marketing, Development, or Talent teams
- Keep us connected and operational on our IT or Finance team
If you believe all children deserve great schools and programs where they can gain the knowledge, skills, character, and habits necessary to achieve their dreams while making the world a better place
, join us!
The Product Manager – Data Systems will join a team that supports the development and implementation of a vision to build efficient, effective, and flexible national data systems to support data collection, verification, and reporting across the entire KIPP network. The role will focus on data related to our students, staff, and schools as our organization supports each student’s journey from enrollment at KIPP through college and beyond. The Product Manager – Data Systems will be responsible for driving national access to high quality data from KIPP schools, regions and vendors. This staff member may engage in everything from design and strategy work to implementation and execution activities related to various data streams. He/She/They will also work with a nationwide community of data specialists at our schools and regions to ensure the process of data submission is low burden to our network-wide staff and that possible issues are surfaced early and often.
The Product Manager – Data Systems reports to the Director, Data Systems and Governance. He/she/they is a member of the Research and Evaluation team, whose mission is to make available – and support the use of – high quality data and research on KIPP parents, teachers, and students, enabling internal leaders to employ data-driven decision making to get KIPP students to and through college, and external audiences gain visibility into KIPP’s successes and challenges. This role will also work collaboratively with many other Foundation teams, including Information Technology (IT), Insight and Analytics (IA), and KIPP Through College (KTC).
Key Responsibilities and Duties
Lead formal product management process for Data Systems
- Work with KIPP Foundation Product Managers, other KIPP Foundation Staff, and school and regional users to understand business needs and to ensure high data quality is an embedded part of our data pipelines and processes and data issues are surfaced to the correct stakeholders as early as possible
- Track emergent needs from stakeholders in support of roadmap prioritization
- Solicit on-going feedback from school and regional users on use cases and proposed improvements to ensure their needs is foremost in requirements
- Work creatively across a range of stakeholders to pull together requirements that fit within our technical context, while simultaneously working to make our data loading processes more efficient and scalable and maintaining data quality
Support Engineering and Database teams in implementation of requirements
- Work with IT to translate high-level business needs into technical requirements and data flow diagrams based on business requirements, including driving alignment on clear milestones, metrics and deliverables
- Run high level design sessions with cross-team of engineers and business stakeholders to ensure technical solutions meet business needs
- Work with business stakeholders to prioritize to Minimal Viable Product and to resolve any technical trade-offs
- Own testing of implemented solution to ensure it meets business requirements, including developing and maintaining suite of test cases
Manage data collection drives and loading projects
- Work with various KIPP Foundation and regional stake holders to identify deadlines, metrics, and data quality checks
- Work with KIPP Foundation Data Collection Specialist to develop documentation, community trainings, and dashboards in support of drives
- Develop or extend any existing technical processes in service of new requirements
- Own project plan to ensure data is loaded and verified in timely manner
- Own monitoring loaded data and metrics for quality and validity and work with KIPP Foundation and network users to resolve issues in a timely manner
Piloting of new data pipelining methods
- Work with KIPP Foundation Product Managers to understand organizational needs for new data streams
- Own working with vendors to understand context and deep data profiling of new data streams
- Work with Insight and Analytics team to understand metrics and data quality needs
- Create and maintain prototype methodologies for screening, loading, and verifying data until requirements can be finalized for formal implementation
- Direction Setting
- Planning and Execution
- Stakeholder Management
- Technical Skills
- 5+ year’s work experience with 3+ year’s experience in Product Management, preferably in projects involving data warehouses and reporting platforms
- Proven success in partnering with diverse stakeholders, both across organizations and teams, on complex, challenging projects
- Understanding of software development processes, including agile development methodology, developing use cases, and usability testing
- Demonstrated success in project management and driving complex projects to completion on deadline
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with a great deal of ambiguity and cross team collaboration
- Demonstrated experience in SQL (any form) and python
- Detail orientation
- A love of data! Exceptional quantitative and analytical skill set
- Passion for KIPP’s mission and values
- San Francisco office location preferred but may consider remote
- Willingness to travel up to 20% of time
- Exemption status – full time
KIPP offers competitive salary commensurate with experience. A comprehensive benefits package, generous vacation and PTO, 401k retirement plan with both pre- and post-tax options, as well as gym reimbursement, flexible spending account (FSA), and cell phone reimbursement are also offered by KIPP.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
KIPP Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert