SENIOR DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT AND INNOVATION PARTNERSHIPS
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Foundation/Grantmaking
City: San Francisco
Postal code: 94104
Country: United States
CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from agriculture and climate change to disaster response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
CARE is seeking a leader in brokering unique and powerful partnerships, putting together deals built to scale and raising diverse resources to take wild ideas and make them real, tangible initiatives. In collaboration with CARE's West Coast fundraising, innovation and program teams, this leader will have the opportunity to usher the organization into an exciting next chapter of growth and impact.
This leader will drive transformative philanthropic investments that will enable continued innovation and growth as the organization achieves its mission to fight global poverty. Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, reporting to the Executive Director for the Western Region and partnering closely with the Chief Innovation Officer, the Senior Director will secure philanthropic revenue to fuel CARE's operations, programs and innovation agenda. He/she will be responsible for identifying and managing major donor and partner relationships to deliver sustainable and significant increases in philanthropic support. The ideal candidate will be a relationship builder and deal-maker who will demonstrate resourcefulness, creativity, and respectful persistence in forging new relationships with a myriad of external stakeholders. This leader will thrive in ambiguity and be known for a balance of creativity (especially in brokering partnerships) and operational excellence – being able to take a glimmer of an idea and drive it into reality.
FUNDRAISING AND NEW BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
- Effectively manage and build a portfolio of approximately 100 top-level major gift prospects and donors, located primarily but not exclusively in the San Francisco Bay Area. Portfolio goals will include raising $2 - $3 million in revenue annually.
- Increase philanthropic contributions for CARE programmatic and innovation team priorities and build a robust pipeline of current and prospective donors that support CARE’s ability to achieve impact at scale.
- Cultivate high-value member relationships and grow the membership base for Embark—CARE’s global collective of philanthropists supporting gender justice initiatives with million dollar investments.
- Work closely and collaboratively with program and innovation team leaders to develop knowledge and fluency of CARE’s strategy and priorities.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to colleagues to adopt proven and innovative fundraising approaches.
- Provide timely and accurate reports to senior leadership on all fundraising activities.
EVENTS AND EXTERNAL RELATIONS
- Partner with Executive Director, members of the Board of Directors, and donors to convene and engage champions and supporters through strategic events, speaking engagements, and gatherings throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Partner with, and support, CARE’s Executive Director, Chief Innovation Officer and CEO to optimize external engagement and relationships.
- Create and manage plans for strengthening donor engagement and growing CARE’s community in the San Francisco Bay Area. Lead local San Francisco Bay Area for CARE Committee.
- Identify and develop support from Silicon Valley influencers, with a particular focus on decision-makers in the technology industry, to elevate awareness about CARE’s life-saving work.
- Minimum of 7-10 years experience in progressively responsible fundraising positions, including direct responsibility for cultivation, soliciting, and stewarding gifts of $100,000 or more and planned gifts
- At least 3 years of professional experience working with donors in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, public administration and/or a related field required; master’s degree preferred
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To apply, please upload a resume and cover to CARE's career site.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert