Development and Outreach Manager
Downeast Lakes Land Trust
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Environment
City: Grand Lake Stream
Postal code: 04668
Country: United States
$0 - $1M
The Downeast Lakes Land Trust contributes to the long-term economic and environmental well-being of the Downeast Lakes region through the conservation and exemplary management of its forests and waters.
Development & Outreach Manager
Downeast Lakes Land Trust
The Downeast Lakes Land Trust (DLLT) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Grand Lake Stream, with a mission to contribute to the long-term economic and environmental well-being of the Downeast Lakes region through the conservation and exemplary management of its forests and waters. DLLT sustainably manages the 55,678-acre Downeast Lakes Community Forest for wildlife habitat, forest products, and public recreation.
DLLT is not a membership-based organization, but it has an engaged donor base of more than 900 supporters and strong relationships with numerous grantmaking organizations. DLLT engages in twice-annual appeals in support of the general fund, and maintains a growing list of corporate sponsors. During three large capital campaigns, DLLT and partners have raised more than $58 million for land conservation in the Downeast Lakes region.
The Development & Outreach Manager (DOM) develops and manages DLLT’s fundraising activities, cultivates donors, and manages DLLT’s outreach communications. The DOM works under the supervision of the President and CEO. This is a full-time, managerial position which will require some work on weekends, holidays, and during non-traditional hours. The DOM is expected to reside within commuting distance of Grand Lake Stream, Maine. Frequent in-state travel and periodic travel out of state will be required.
Specific areas of responsibility include:
Outreach and Public Relations:
- Writes and develops print, online, and social media outreach materials, donor communications, and media relations.
- Prepares material in a timely fashion allowing for considered review and timely publishing.
- Plans and coordinates outreach and special events, and provides information on and promotes DLLT programs, plans, and policies to the DLLT community, other organizations, and the media.
- Writes grant proposals for operational and program support, and reports grant progress to private foundations and public agencies.
- Helps the CEO & President with capital campaigns.
- Researches donors, foundations, and grant programs, and develops donor relations in support of overall fundraising objectives.
- Develops relationships with new donors and grant makers. Strengthens and maintains relationships with existing supporters.
- Develops and implements fundraising strategies, budgets, and reporting mechanisms for general fund appeals, capital campaigns, corporate sponsorships, and planned giving.
Board & Committee Support:
- Prepares documents and reports for the committees and board as requested.
- Attends and participates in committee meetings including but not limited to Development and Community Relations.
Staff & Volunteer Support:
- Coordinates with other staff and committee members to synthesize information from all DLLT committees in support of outreach and communication agendas and reports to the committees and board.
Location: The position is based in Grand Lake Stream, Maine. This is a small, rural community (winter pop. 80) with a traditional natural resource-based economy focused on outdoor recreational tourism and the timber products industry.
- Substantial fundraising experience, preferably for a land trust or conservation organization and including grants, general fund appeals, and high-capacity donor cultivation
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be comfortable living and working in a small community in rural Maine.
- Flexibility with time management & job duties
- Self-starter with helpful attitude
- Organized and timely with communication
- Familiar with Microsoft Office & Gift Works
Compensation: Salary and benefits (including health, paid vacation, and retirement) commensurate with qualifications and comparable to similar positions.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Send resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 references in a single document by email to [email protected], ATTN: Development & Outreach Manager. For more information on the Downeast Lakes Land Trust, see www.downeastlakes.org. DLLT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All applications must be received by Friday, August 2nd.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert