Big Brothers Big Sisters of Essex, Hudson & Union Counties
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Youth Development
Postal code: 07102
State: New Jersey
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
The mission of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Essex, Hudson and Union Counties, NJ is to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one relationships that change their lives for the better, forever; and being a locally credible social justice leader in our community.
For over one hundred years, Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) has been the premier mentoring organization in America. Big Brothers Big Sisters of Essex, Hudson & Union Counties was created in 2008 to respond to a growing need for positive, encouraging mentoring in New Jersey's largest, most diverse metropolitan region. Our mission is to provide children facing adversity with strong, enduring, and professionally-supported relationships that measurably change kids’ lives for the better, forever.
Over the past decade, BBBS has nurtured over 4,000 one-to-one mentoring relationships, positively impacting young people, their families, and their communities. Caring, supportive mentoring relationships help young people stay focused on graduating from high school, finding the right college or career path for them, and maturing into productive members of society with a strong sense of purpose and self-worth.
Led by a dynamic professional team and a well respected Board of Directors, the regional BBBS has a reputation for bold thinking. A nimble organization, BBBS is mission-driven, pushing every day for social justice in radically underserved urban communities around the region. Today, BBBS is investing in building infrastructure and capacity to meet the expanding needs of its constituency.
A mission-driven and results-focused professional, the Development Manager will partner with the CEO and COO to strategically enrich and guide its development efforts. The position, based in Newark, New Jersey, reports to the CEO and collaborates closely with the COO. In partnership with the CEO, COO, and the Board of Directors, the Manager will drive a systematic and thoughtful approach to meet revenue goals of over $2 million annually.
The Manager will partner with the leadership team to:
- define and manage an overarching annual development program, calendar, and goal tracking;
- support the identification, cultivation, and stewardship of new and existing donors from all sectors (individuals, corporations, and foundations sources);
- support the organization’s leadership in donor solicitations and grant applications;
- strengthen internal capacity through development best practices.
A member of the organization’s leadership team, this primarily internally-focused position will focus the development of strategy, ensure commitment to high quality execution of tasks, and support the leadership team’s ability to thoughtfully deliver on the development plan. The selected applicant will be self-motivated to function at their highest potential and strive for excellence in all that they do and understand the need to “hit the ground running” to deliver swiftly and effectively. Candidates must have a minimum of five years’ bona fide development experience in graduating roles and be able to demonstrate their ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. Attention to detail and accuracy, an internal drive to meet goals, flexibility to pivot in busy situations, and a sense of humor are required, as is a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity at all levels.
The Development Manager will report to the CEO while having a clear collaborative partnership with the COO for many aspects of the development function. The Development Manager will oversee the outsourced Grant Writer in collaboration with the COO, the events consultants, and the incoming Development Associate. With an all hands on deck approach to fundraising at BBBS, a team outlook and fluidity is essential for success.
- Serve as the development manager for all fundraising program elements, motivate peers and partners through excellence, and lead by example through a commitment to the organization’s mission and the highest standards of professionalism.
- Develop and execute overarching annual development plan, partnering with CEO and COO to set and reach increasing annual fundraising goals sector by sector.
- Create year-long strategies for each sector, including mapping the calendar to ensure achievability of and timing around goals among a modest development team. Prioritize projects and tasks, and identify opportunities/challenges to supervisors and reports about near and long-term needs and responsibilities.
- Work closely with the COO and outsourced grant writer and maintain grant partnerships including: management of deadlines, applications and reporting requirements, and donor stewardship.
- Identify new grant and sponsorship opportunities for youth-oriented programs.
- Maintain achievable Moves Management calendar to hit targets with a modest development team.
- Capitalize on current donor base and leadership networks to create, plan, and execute high-level donor engagement and cultivation events. Manage event arrangements, seek underwriting, and track donor relationships.
- Support the cultivation and solicitation of site-based partnership participants and corporate teams from special events.
- Interface with special events consultants to execute annual fundraising event.
- Prepare or supervise all content and materials needed for fundraising programs, including proposals to donors and donor prospects, gift recognition and acknowledgment materials, committee meeting materials and more. Support execution of Board Development Committees.
- Possess proven experience in and passion for utilizing social media to drive contributions.
- Oversee regular communications with funding stakeholders and execute tightly-managed gift acknowledgement system. Oversee processing and coding of gifts and review monthly with bookkeeping staff for accuracy.
- Produce annual year-end solicitation to lower level annual supporters.
- Prepare or supervise all content and materials needed for fundraising programs, including proposals to donors and donor prospects, gift recognition and acknowledgment materials, committee meeting materials and more.
- Support execution of Board Development Committees.
The ideal candidate will act as a leader when partnering with the senior staff and Board to execute strategy. They will be an important member of a small but growing team charged with expanding a successful and steady program for BBBS. They will find pride and satisfaction in running a tight fundraising department and positioning the external leaders for solicitation success. They will mentor and guide the Development Associate and enjoy guiding the outsourced development team members (grant writer and special events). They will be adept at working with and comfortable speaking to donors and volunteers. Finally, they will be a poised, effective, and thoughtful team member ready to work in a fast-paced, high-profile youth education institution.
- Bachelor’s degree in nonprofit management, business, marketing, communications or related field
- 5+ years fundraising experience in non-profit sector
- Proven ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks to meet deadlines and project goals
- Highly adept at managing donor databases and creating sophisticated tracking documents and reports
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Google Docs (or similar shared platforms); technically savvy in additional software platforms and social media
- Knowledge of special events planning and management
- Collaborative, driven, and supportive team player
Compensation and Benefits
For this position, BBBS offers:
- Salary commensurate with experience
- 401k plan
- Comprehensive and affordable health and dental insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Other voluntary benefits such as FSA, commuter benefits, life and disability insurance
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
The Development Manager is a full-time, exempt position. BBBS is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. For more information about the organization, visit www.bigsandkids.org
BBBS has retained Strategic Management Consulting to execute this search. Please send cover letter and CV in PDF format via email.
Siobhan McDermott, President, Strategic Management Consulting
Posted By: Strategic Management Consulting
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert