SVP, eCommerce / Online Retail Operations
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Client/Customer Service
Primary domain: Youth Development
Postal code: 20004
State: Washington, DC
Country: United States
About First Book:
First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 185 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families through the First Book Network of educators and program leaders focused on disadvantaged children. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest-growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches 425,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the position: The SVP of eCommerce has authority and oversight of the First Book Marketplace, First Book’s eCommerce platform (store) serving as the hub for the First Book network of members providing education and wrap-around services to disadvantaged children (ages 0-18) in the USA, Canada, and (on a smaller scale) globally. The Marketplace is one of First Book’s primary revenue-generation engines and requires vigilance and oversight to remain fresh, current, and an appealing and relevant resource hub to this expanding membership.
To support the Marketplace, the eCommerce team-at-large is comprised of several departments that support resource acquisition, materials management, warehousing, customer service, procurement, and publisher & author relations. The coordinated activities of this department are essential to the growth and execution of the Marketplace and seamless customer experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversight and quality assurance of the First Book Marketplace as both an Internet site, but also as a hub for information and resources.
- Identification of online retail trends that First Book should test and/or follow to ensure the First Book Marketplace experience is seamless, fresh, and providing both resources and information that help improve the lives of the members.
- Lead the eCommerce team through stretch performance goals that reflect the network’s engagement in the Marketplace (e.g. abandoned carts, customer satisfaction, AOV, number of SKUs on the MP, number of front list titles, etc.)
- Monitor performance indicators and business metrics for trends and possible issues with the business model.
- Stay current on industry-wide Ecommerce best practices and make recommendations for enhancements and changes to keep the site both current and fresh.
- Participate in leadership meetings as required.
- Participate as a member of the Technology Advisory Group.
- Serve as primary executive contact for First Book’s leased warehouses ensuring contract compliance and acceptable metrics for materials management.
- Strategically engage other departments to ensure integration with performance indicators and objectives of other departments.
- Oversee data gathering and analysis for the department-at-large and utilize Sales Force Dashboards to present data to the department and to the leadership team.
- Meets weekly for 30-60 minutes with department’s director level, and above.
- Hosts weekly eCommerce Manager’s meeting.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Must be able to work seamlessly in an environment where agile adaptation is expected.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Must be detail oriented and committed to analysis and summary of data for the purposes of decision-making and strategies for growth.
- A sense of humor and the ability to handle complicated situations with a cool head is imperative.
- Ability to lead and direct staff with a diversity of skills, strengths, and perspectives.
- Not afraid to roll up your sleeves and dig in to help solve problems and to relieve bandwidth constraints when needed.
Education and/or Experience:
- Master’s degree preferred
- Verifiable experience managing a team of 10+
- Expertise in eCommerce and online retail best practices
- Proven ability to think strategically, hear constructive feedback, and operate in an environment of collaboration and consensus
See what First Book has been up to!:
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
- Vacation leave
- Sick leave
- Eleven Annual Holidays
- 401 K and employer matching pension contribution
- Transportation benefits
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter that details your interest in the position, to http://firstbook.force.com/careers. If you need assistance applying please reach out to Ashley Jones, 202-499-5935.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert