Chief Development and Strategy Officer
A Better Balance
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Advocacy/Social Action
City: New York
Postal code: 10013
State: New York
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
A Better Balance leverages the power of the law to ensure that no worker has to make the impossible choice between their job and their family. When all working parents and caregivers have a fair shot in the workplace, our families, our communities, and our nation are healthier and stronger.We support legislators and advocates across the nation—from Oregon to Florida, from Wisconsin to Washington, DC. We research, draft, and testify in support of bills that will help working people care for themselves and their families without risking their paychecks.
Our efforts have helped millions of people, guaranteeing paid sick time, paid family and medical leave, and pregnancy accommodations. Because of our work:
Chief Development and Strategy Officer
A Better Balance (ABB) is recruiting a leader with substantial development and communications experience to serve in the newly created role of Chief Development and Strategy Officer to lead the fundraising, marketing, and communications functions of the organization. This position is a full-time position based in ABB’s New York office.
A Better Balance is a national legal advocacy organization dedicated to promoting fairness in the workplace and helping workers care for themselves and their families without sacrificing their economic security. Through nationwide policy advocacy, legal services, strategic litigation, and enforcement and education, ABB is improving workers’ lives at the local, state, and federal levels. The organization has fought for and won new paid leave policies, laws fostering equal pay, pregnancy and caregiver protections, breastfeeding accommodations, LGBTQ protections, and victories on other women’s rights and economic justice issues throughout the country. Our advocacy work and legal efforts have gained national recognition in dozens of outlets including The New York Times, Washington Post, and The Wall Street Journal. We are dedicated to lifting up the voices of our clients and those most directly affected by our policy work and we have a particular focus on centering gender justice. Our free and confidential helpline provides legal assistance and information to low-wage workers. Additional information about A Better Balance’s work is available at www.abetterbalance.org.
A Better Balance has grown significantly in the past 10 years. The organization has a new strategic plan to guide its work. The Chief Development and Strategy Officer has a unique opportunity to work closely with the Co-Presidents, Board, and Staff to build the development and communications functions to raise awareness of ABB’s critical work, and secure additional funding to tackle unfair and discriminatory policies and practices. He/she will report to the Co-Presidents and work closely with them to expand and strengthen the organization.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive development plan and goals to attract increased support from foundations, major donors and family foundations, law firms and business.
- Build a comprehensive, integrated and strategic communication plan to strengthen ABB’s brand identity and engage a diverse set of stakeholders (including the media and key influencers) to support and serve the ABB mission.
- Strengthen ABB’s annual fundraising event to build increased awareness about ABB’s work, and raise funds to support its mission.
- Partner with the Co-Presidents to engage the Board in development and create a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization.
- Motivate, engage, and support the Staff and Board in their efforts to raise visibility and funding for A Better Balance.
- Build and lead a results-driven, integrated development and communications team with a commitment to excellence. Current direct reports: Grant Writer and Communications Associate.
- Ensure the infrastructure and systems are in place to support ABB’s work, including expanded communications, marketing and donor engagement.
Qualifications and Experience
- The candidate must possess superior leadership and creative problem-solving skills, and an entrepreneurial and strategic approach to resource development and communications.
- Bachelor's degree and at least eight years of experience, preferably in a nonprofit or purpose driven organization.
- Proven track record of raising funds from foundations and high net worth individuals.
- Experience working effectively with boards of directors, and a wide cross section of other public, private and philanthropic leaders.
- Ability to effectively lead a team with a commitment to quality and productivity, focusing on goals, measurement, results and accountability.
- Comfort with ambiguity, graceful under pressure, and able to alter plans to meet priorities.
- High energy level, flexible, self-motivated, and self-confident, and the ability to thrive in an ever-changing complex environment and juggle multiple demands simultaneously.
A Better Balance has an excellent benefits package, including health and dental insurance; paid family and medical leave; paid vacation, sick, and personal time; and access to transit benefits. We are committed to “walking our talk” and encourage a healthy work/life balance for all employees. Competitive salary.
A Better Balance is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, family status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, caregiver status, or any other factor protected by law. People of color, people with disabilities, and those who identify as LGBTQ are strongly encouraged to apply.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to Rachel Sica, Director of Operations, at [email protected].
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert