The Education Trust-West
Position Type: Part-Time (Paid)
Function: Research and Development
Primary domain: Advocacy/Social Action
Postal code: 94607
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
The Education Trust–West works for educational justice and the high academic achievement of all students at all levels, pre-K through college. We expose educational injustices and inequities that separate students of color, English learners, and low-income students from their peers, and we identify and advocate for the strategies that will forever close equity gaps. We work alongside schools, districts, college campuses, and higher education institutions to understand and evaluate the effectiveness of strategies intended to reduce and eliminate racial equity gaps. We use lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, to drive a state and national conversation about how our P-12 education system and colleges and universities can better serve underserved students of color, English learners, and low-income students.
The Education Trust–West (ETW) seeks a Part-Time Quantitative Researcher to support our Research and Policy Analysis team with quantitative data analysis (4-5 days/week, Monday-Friday, up to 22.5 hours/week). The ideal candidate has a passion for social justice issues and improving the educational opportunities and outcomes for low-income students and students of color, and an unwavering belief that all students can succeed.
This is a part-time staff position based in our Oakland office; but working from our Los Angeles office is also an option. We are interested in candidates who are available for a commitment of at least six months. Although currently a part-time position, there is the possibility of transitioning to a full-time capacity in this role, dependent on available funding.
If you’re interested in a more flexible consulting role please see this link. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KHAOkNg40pQrZqg0NhRy1gzIRelpsJgFO9Es4nYGb1w/edit for the consultant requirements and deliverables.
- Collect, analyze, and interpret education data related to student achievement, attainment, and opportunities to learn
- Use STATA to process data to:
- Import data files from publicly available sources
- Restructure data files
- Evaluate data quality and perform data-cleaning operations
- Sort, update, and merge data files
- Create outcome measures
- Perform various forms of statistical and data analysis
- Create charts and data visualizations summarizing data analysis in easily interpretable formats
- Support other staff at The Education Trust in finding data, creating presentations, identifying successful schools, and creating publications for public distribution
- Participate in various stages of producing reports, proposals, and papers to updated research practices; preparing figures, charts, and tables; fact-checking and documentation
- At least two years of quantitative research and data analysis experience
- Strong familiarity and experience working with publicly available data from California educational systems (e.g., CDE, UCOP, CSU, CCC)
- Strong familiarity with Excel
- Experience with STATA, including using and writing syntax
- Experience with creating and publishing data visualizations with Tableau
- Strong follow-through skills and attention to detail
- Talent to write clearly and concisely
- Ability to work independently
- Strong interest in the use of quantitative research for addressing equity issues in education
- Results-oriented, achievement-driven approach to projects and tasks, with a clear understanding and focus on goals
- Desire to learn from experienced team members for personal growth
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please provide a cover letter and resume (combined into one document). Your cover letter should describe your quantitative research background, experience to date, and your alignment with the mission. Priority deadline is August 19th. Applications will still be considered after this date.
In the file name, please write the name of the position you are applying for and your last name: e.g. “QuantitativeResearcher_Freeman”
This is a part-time, staff position, if you’re interested in a more flexible consulting role please see this link.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KHAOkNg40pQrZqg0NhRy1gzIRelpsJgFO9Es4nYGb1w/edit for the consultant position description and application instructions.
The Education Trust–West is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert