Associate Director, Investment Management
Social Finance Inc.
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Other
Postal code: 02108
Country: United States
About Social Finance
Social Finance creates innovative financing solutions to improve social outcomes across issue areas by partnering with governments, nonprofits, foundations, impact investors, and financial institutions. Our portfolio of outcomes-linked strategies aims to enlist private capital for public good, use data and evidence effectively, and unite uncommon partners around a common purpose: to measurably improve the lives of those in need throughout the US. We are a national firm with offices in Boston, MA, Austin, TX and San Francisco, CA and part of a growing, international network with affiliates in India, Israel, Netherlands and the UK.
Our work, centered on the Pay-For-Success (PFS) approach, bridges the worlds of policy, finance and social change. Our Advisory Services, Social Investment, and Active Performance Management teams support all phases of work, tailored to the needs of our partners. We aim to alleviate the most pressing social issues facing our nation by focusing on the following areas: Education, Children and Families, Workforce and Economic Mobility, Criminal Justice, Sustainability and Resilience, Health and Homelessness. We also focus on developing a strong PFS field through market education, publications, events, research and analysis. More recently, Social Finance launched our Public Impact Initiative, which uses the full range of PFS tools to help governments design, fund and manage effective social services.
What is Pay for Success?
At its core, Pay for Success (PFS) is an outcomes-based financing partnership structure. Historically, its primary application has been funding effective social services through a performance-based contract (e.g. through Social Impact Bonds – SIBs). Over time, applications have broadened to include Outcome Rate Cards and Career Impact Bonds – CIBs. We continue to innovate, addressing new issue areas and developing new financing mechanisms to offer a wider range of instruments that link payment with achievement of social outcomes. In each case, PFS enables scaling high-performing, socio-economic service providers and achieving results by harnessing private investment capital. If, following relevant evaluation, the program achieves predetermined outcomes that benefit the target population and generate public value, then payors repay investors. Payments are not made based on outputs but made only at the level of outcomes achieved.
Today, over 150 PFS projects have raised $400M globally, across issue areas spanning early childhood, workforce development, homelessness, criminal justice and education. Our Global Network has developed and launched more Pay-For-Success (PFS) projects than any intermediary organization in the world. In the U.S., we’ve launched eight PFS financings including the world’s first two equity PFS deals and mobilized more than $100M in capital. We have developed diverse projects that optimize risk, return, and impact.
The Associate Director, Investment Management will play a critical role in the firm’s social investments transaction work by connecting impact capital with appropriate opportunities and supporting and standardizing deal operations. This is a new key role as Social Finance broadens its financing products with a focus on establishing and managing new fund structures aligned with our mission. This involves working closely with a variety of internal teams (project teams, accounting & finance, legal, and communications) to support social investment transaction execution and to build upon our networks within the financing community. Social Finance has a strong culture of client service and high performance that this candidate must embody. Responsibilities include:
Investment Fund Administration and Appraisal
- Appraise investments, conduct financial and impact outcomes modelling and related aspects specific to any fund vehicles which Social Finance may structure and manage
- Coordinate the workflows associated with internal investment / commitments committee decision-making; organization of diligence documents and monitoring of follow-up requirements
- Support fundraising efforts for future fund vehicles
Social Investment Projects
- Support the project and finance teams to refine deal operations workflows at all stages of an investment project
- Support relevant teams in on-boarding new funds/investors, special purpose vehicles and other legal entities
- Provide additional support as relevant to project teams across the investor lifecycle (e.g., support specific capital raise, investor updates, and other activities as needed)
- Support origination and business development of social investment opportunities, including supporting and leading conversations with prospective partners, sourcing new opportunities, and supporting the development of a comprehensive social investment business development strategy
- Contribute to the development of new product lines and opportunities within the social investment space
- Contribute to ongoing management of critical investor relationships as relevant
Support the Social Finance team’s growth and success, including:
- Coaching and developing associates across teams, providing real-time feedback to team members in service of maximizing professional success and executing high-quality deliverables
- Contributing to firm development initiatives, which may include recruiting, professional development, internal “knowledgefest” sessions, board meeting presentation preparation, or other internal strategic projects
- Supporting senior management, internal functional teams, and Social Finance project teams as needed.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial professional who has the aptitude to take on the responsibilities above, as well as additional duties that management deems appropriate. This role requires strong project management and communication skills, the ability to work in a dynamic group environment, well-developed organizational skills and solid data management capabilities.
Candidate must have:
- 5 - 8 years of comparable functional experience either in private equity operations or equity/debt capital markets syndicate desks
- Excellent oral and written communications skills; the ability to deliver messages in a compelling way; ability to quickly research, synthesize and summarize key lessons on unfamiliar topics
- Advanced interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate and work closely with stakeholders across multiple sectors
- Experience in financial operations activities
- Commitment to excellence and accuracy, with an ability to manage multiple and competing priorities simultaneously
- Willingness to constructively express contrary points of view and seek consensus among strong, independent thinkers
- Capacity to work independently while contributing to team projects as appropriate
- Sense of humor and flexibility to regularly incorporate the feedback of others into work processes
- Expertise in PowerPoint and Excel required; substantive financial modeling skills a plus; experience with Salesforce or other CRM systems a plus
- Comfort operating in a deadline driven, constantly changing environment
- The ability to complete requests for financial, client, and other data analysis with a low error rate
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of key issues in effective nonprofit management, social interventions, and/or impact investing (e.g. academic coursework, consulting projects, volunteer work, etc.)
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to [email protected] (Subject line: Associate Director, Investment Management)
Review of applications will begin immediately. No phone calls please.
Social Finance, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, creed, disability, marital status, citizenship, ancestry, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliation, military status, status as a protected veteran, genetic information or any other legally protected status.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert