About The Center:
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender Community Center (The Center) has been a comprehensive resource and refuge for LGBTQ individuals and communities in New York City since 1983. With our doors open 365 days a year, we welcome 6,000 unique visitors weekly, providing: health and wellness programs; career development; family and parenthood support services; and arts and cultural events.
With a long history of advocacy and advancing the rights of LGBTQ New Yorkers, The Center is deeply connected to the community and held as a premier, historically significant institution. We continue to evolve our program offerings and impact in the community, having doubled our budget over the past six years. We are also a leader in developing cutting-edge, community-responsive programming that is widely replicable. Learn more about our history and our work at gaycenter.org.
About The Opportunity:
The Senior Director of Finance & Controller (“Controller”) role provides an opportunity for a seasoned finance professional and passionate people manager to work across our agency, ensuring the continued sustainment of our strong financial health and standards, while building the capacity of our team and enhancing our processes and systems.
Reporting to the Deputy Executive Director/COO and partnering with a retained CFO-level part-time consultant, the Controller will serve as a member of our Senior Leadership Team, and will manage a six person team. The Controller will lead the day-to-day financial operations of the organization, understanding the linkages between programs, operations, and the fiscal health of the organization, while developing and managing a service-oriented team
How The Sr. Director of Finance & Controller Will Be Measured:
- Accounting & Financial Reporting: Monitor all fiscal activity and ensure timely and proper execution of all transactions and related reporting in compliance with our financial systems and controls
- Team Management & Culture Building : Lead and build the capacity of finance team members and demonstrate and reinforce a customer service orientation
- Systems Migration: Lead the successful migration of our accounting systems by 2021, supporting the finance team as well as Center staff through this transition
- Relationship Building and Communication: Build strong relationships across teams to communicate, translate, and distill financial and budget information, including with the Executive Team and Board
- Process Improvement: Analyze and implement finance process and controls improvements and optimizations
- Budget & Forecasting: Develop and monitor budgets in collaboration with executive and senior leadership and the consultant CFO, and in conjunction with the consultant CFO develop forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses
The Center’s Commitment to Equity & Inclusivity:
The Center was born of community activism in response to the AIDS epidemic, ensuring a place for LGBTQ people to access information, care, and support that they were not receiving elsewhere. We opened in 1983 to help people who had doors constantly closed in their faces, ostracized by family, friends, and shunned by the general society. Since that time, we have continually provided a wide array of services and programs to serve our community, with an intentional focus on providing support to those who are most vulnerable. We have always taken great care to be a space that responds to community need; engaging in diversity, equity and inclusion work is another outgrowth of those ongoing efforts. We reocgnize that in order to help LGBTQ individuals and our diverse community achieve parity in health, justice, opportunity and success outcomes, our organization must hold a strong foundation and competency in, as well as invest organizational focus on, equity and inclusion frameworks, practices and policies. This is also true in our hiring and retention of staff.