Senior Manager of Democracy Initiatives
Convergence Center for Policy Resolution
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Advocacy/Social Action
Postal code: 20036
State: Washington, DC
Country: United States
$3M - $10M
Founded in 2009, Convergence is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC that convenes people and groups with divergent views to build trust, identify solutions, and form alliances for action on critical national issues. We achieve this through structured, facilitated dialogue and long-term relationship building. Our process builds trust and understanding and shifts the focus from conflict to action. The products of our continuous effort throughout the life of a project include breakthrough coalitions working toward transformative action and a renewed sense of what is possible through shared goals and long-term cooperation. For more information, visit: www.convergencepolicy.org.
Convergence is an equal opportunity employer. Hiring decisions are made without consideration of race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, political affiliation or belief, or any other factor that employers are prohibited by law from considering.
Convergence Center for Policy Resolution seeks a full-time Senior Manager of Democracy Initiatives to organize and lead our work relating to Congress and other national groups and entities. We seek an ambitious, self-starter with Capitol Hill experience who will lead our efforts as official advisors to the Bipartisan Working Group in Congress, identify additional ways Convergence can support Congress’ efforts to be more effective, and collaborate with other organizations engaged in similar endeavors. The Senior Manager will assist Convergence project teams and stakeholders to create relationships and share project recommendations with appropriate Members of Congress, their staff, and the Executive Branch; create strong working relationships with colleague organizations working on bridgebuilding and democracy issues; and help Convergence stay abreast of breaking policy and political developments. The Senior Manager may also research and develop a new Convergence project on an issue such as election systems. Convergence seeks someone who is passionate about our mission and eager to make an impact.
Bipartisan Working Group (BPWG):
- Manage Convergence’s on-going work with the Bipartisan Working Group including, but not limited to, working with BPWG co-chairs’ staff to shape retreats, meeting agendas, and plans; summarizing meetings; and coordinating recommendations of policy experts to BPWG Members and staff.
- Provide thought partnership on design and implementation of strategy regarding BPWG outreach, communications, and other efforts.
- Foster and deepen relationships with Members of Congress and their staff to create a strong partnership and better understand the needs of the BPWG on a week-to-week basis.
- Maintain a strong relationship with foundation program officers supporting the project, in coordination with Convergence Development staff.
Overall Organizational Collaboration on All Convergence Democracy and other Initiatives:
- Working with Convergence project teams, identify relevant audiences among Congress, the Executive Branch, and other national organizations with whom Convergence should share federal policy recommendations resulting from any Convergence dialogue.
- Monitor policy developments related to past, current, and prospective Convergence projects
- Raise Convergence’s visibility within the DC policy community and identify opportunities for Convergence to contribute to the debate
- Represent Convergence with thought leaders within DC policy community
- Actively collaborate across Convergence teams on projects and functional areas– Learning & Evaluation, Communications, Development, and Operations.
- Help keep Convergence supporters and leaders updated on the Convergence work that is relevant to them.
- Supervise and mentor junior employees and interns as needed.
- Make presentations at and help support Convergence Leadership Council meetings.
Potential New Project Support:
- Research, identify, and interview key stakeholders; compile and synthesize interviews.
- Assist in design and implementation of the project -- including stakeholder recruitment, issue framing, and agenda setting for the dialogue -- with Convergence staff and colleagues.
- Help create metrics of success and execute work plans for the new project.
- Play an active role in fundraising efforts to support new project – including donor cultivation, grant writing, and donor stewardship – with our Development Team
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree or equivalent work experience strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 6–8 years full time working experience on Capitol Hill, at a government affairs firm, or public policy focused non-profit, with progressively increasing levels of responsibility, of which at least 2–3 years are relevant or transferable experience.
- Knowledge of Capitol Hill culture and how to work well with Congressional Staff. Prior Capitol Hill experience strongly preferred, but not required. Bipartisan experience a plus.
- A deep commitment to collaborative problem solving and consensus building across ideological divides. An understanding that good ideas do not come from only one side of the political spectrum.
- Broad policy knowledge and understanding of the Washington DC community, including interest groups, think tanks, thought leaders.
- Strong political instincts.
- Proven track record of working with ideologically diverse constituencies.
- Superb written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Outstanding project management and organizational abilities.
- Sense of humor, flexibility, resourcefulness, and collaborative work ethic.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and short writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line “Senior Manager of Democracy Initiatives”. Position available immediately. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert