About the Internet Society & Internet Society Foundation
The Internet Society (ISOC) supports and promotes the development of the Internet as a global technical infrastructure, a resource to enrich people’s lives, and a force for good in society. Our work aligns with our goals for the Internet to be open, globally connected, secure, and trustworthy. We seek collaboration with all who share these goals.
Together, we focus on building and supporting the communities that make the Internet work; advancing the development and application of Internet infrastructure, technologies, and open standards; and advocating for policy that is consistent with our view of the Internet.
The Internet Society Foundation (Foundation) is a newly formed, non-profit organization that works in concert with the Internet Society. It exists to demonstrate and support the positive difference the Internet can make to people everywhere and promote the development of the Internet as a global technical infrastructure, a resource to enrich people’s lives, and a force for good in society. Learn more at https://www.isocfoundation.org/. About the Position
The Program Officer is a full-time position responsible for implementing and managing the following programs.
- Beyond the Net funding program. Chapter grant funding for local and regional projects aligned with the Internet Society’s mission.
- Community Capacity Building. Support for broader initiatives that improve Internet access and bridge the digital opportunities gap.
The Program Officer will work closely with the Executive Director to successfully organize and implement initiatives in collaboration with other team members to build strong relationships and partnerships in the community. This person will also help finalize the criteria for this new program area and identify an appropriate applicant pool for review by a Selection Committee/Expert Review Panel who will be responsible for making final recommendations for grant funding.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Program Area Strategy
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a program area strategy for the Community Capacity Building Program (CCBP);
- Review history and process of Beyond the Net (BTN) and recommend and implement adjustments as necessary;
- Identify, evaluate, and seize new opportunities for giving;
- Drive the establishment of partnerships and internal capabilities in support of short- and long-term foundation strategies.
- Manage a portfolio of grants for ISOC Chapters (Beyond the Net) and Community Capacity Building;
- Collaborate with and manage potential grantees to develop plans and projects for funding;
- In collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager, develop and support the monitoring and evaluation components for grants;
- Review letters of inquiry and grant applications for both Chapter funding and Community Capacity Building support;
- Provide recommendations for funding including drafting and editing proposal summaries for submission to the Executive Director for review and the Selection Committee/Expert Review Panel for approval;
- In collaboration with the Technical and Administrative Manager of Grants, manage internal processes and portfolio progress, and ensure appropriate documentation, grant budgeting and reporting;
- Proactively identify and vet promising opportunities for giving, creating a grant pipeline, and developing systems to scout for new opportunities;
- Write and produce briefings and other materials on key issues for foundation leadership (Executive Director, Board of Directors and Selection Committee/Expert Review Panel with a focus on impact and return-on-investment).