32BJ SEIU is the largest property services union in the country and one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions along the East Coast, with over 175,000 members in 11 states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, winning strong contracts for members, organizing workers, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee living wages, promote responsible development and expand access to health care.
32BJ has grown rapidly over the past decade and 32BJ currently employs approximately 475 staff in sixteen offices from Boston to Miami. We seek a dynamic, mission-driven professional to lead the Union’s efforts to retain and develop a high-performing, diverse staff, with an eye on succession planning. The Director, reporting to the Vice President in charge of staff and member development, will be responsible for a comprehensive staff development plan. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with officers and directors to assess, understand, prioritize and address key training and development needs, and help build an organizational strategy for staff development and training;
- Design and deliver targeted training plans that 1) are linked to organizational goals and objectives and 2) enable staff to develop in their roles and advance in the organization;
- Implement a system for tracking and documenting training needs, holding staff accountable and ensuring compliance, as well as creating and tracking individual development plans;
- Work closely with Human Resources to refine and improve recruitment, hiring and on-boarding practices;
- Collaborate with officers and executive office on succession planning and leadership development, including the development of a mentorship and coaching program;
- Develop and deliver a union-wide management training program, and ensure all supervisors receive management training;
- Partner with Human Resources and senior management to refine and improve the Performance Evaluation system and procedures; establish data-driven, measurable, key metrics as well as qualitative measures; and
- Work with officers and senior management in helping move the organization and its staff through growth and reorganization/restructuring, by providing strategies to adopt change successfully.