Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Crime/Legal
Postal code: 21218
Country: United States
$0 - $1M
FreeState Justice is a legal advocacy organization that seeks to improve the lives of low-income lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (“LGBTQ”) Marylanders. Despite recent, incremental judicial victories for the national LGBTQ community, the low-income LGBTQ population continues to struggle with legal challenges such harassment, complex family law issues, and anti-LGBTQ discrimination in employment, housing, foster care, healthcare and public accommodations. In addition to needing attorneys with specific knowledge of how the law affects LGBTQ citizens, LGBTQ clients need attorneys who will treat them with respect and understanding. FreeState’s mission is to combine direct legal services with education and outreach to ensure that the low-income LGBTQ community Maryland receives fair treatment in the law and society.
FreeState Justice seeks a visionary, experienced Managing Attorney, who cares deeply about LGBTQ+ people, to lead our legal services team in providing direct representation to LGBTQ Marylanders with low and limited incomes. The Managing Attorney will work directly under the supervision of the Executive Director. They will lead all aspects of FreeState’s legal services program, including managing the legal team, representing clients in our most complex cases, and overseeing case selection and docket management. We seek a candidate with a deep passion for social justice, a commitment to empowering clients, and enthusiasm for joining our small team of dedicated, engaged, and energetic individuals working to bring lived equality to Maryland’s LGBTQ population with low or limited incomes.
The Managing Attorney will provide vision, direction, and leadership to our legal services program. They will coach and develop a small team of two staff attorneys and a case manager to ensure excellent service to clients in both in-house and pro bono representation. They will supervise and monitor the provision of legal services to clients as well as manage a focused caseload of our most complex legal matters. Additionally, the Managing Attorney will support FreeState’s public policy advocacy. This position is partially funded through grants from Maryland Legal Services Corporation (MLSC) and the Maryland Governor’s Office of Crime Control and Prevention (GOCCP).
Manage a demanding but focused case load
- Represent LGBTQ clients with low incomes in a variety of legal venues, including judicial and administrative settings, including in complex/impact litigation
Provide vision, leadership, and direction to FreeState Justice’s direct legal services program
- Coach, supervise, professionally develop, and provide feedback to the legal team consisting of two staff attorneys and a case manager
- Ensure a positive, collaborative culture on the legal team and lead the team through annual strategic planning and goal-setting activities
- Manage and supervise legal team processes including outreach, client intake and screening, and assignment of cases to in-house staff and pro bono panel attorneys to ensure excellent client service
- Help build and maintain key partnerships with other legal service nonprofits, private counsel, local and national LGBTQ organizations
- Lead the drafting of media statements, blog posts, and other public education materials about the issues FreeState engages in, including speaking to media about clients we represent
- Lead the development of written resources, presentations, and other education materials for clients and attorneys on various LGBTQ legal issues, including presenting at conferences, meetings, and webinars
- Identify and pursue opportunities for filing amicus briefs on issues of concern to Maryland’s LGBTQ community
- Supervise and manage law student internship program
- Support grant reporting for funders of legal services
Support FreeState’s public policy advocacy
- Work closely with the Executive Director to support legislative and administrative public policy advocacy on behalf of the LGBTQ community in Maryland
Meet professional expectations of organization
- Assist with grant reporting, public education, and the development of other written materials
- Participate in strategic planning, goal-setting, evaluation, and professional development activities
- Participate in and support FreeState’s annual fundraising efforts
How to Apply: Interested candidates should (1) prepare a cover letter, resume, writing sample and (2) complete an application form and upload your application materials at the following URL: www.freestate-justice.org/careers.
Qualifications: An ideal candidate will possess the following qualities:
- Active membership in good standing in the Maryland Bar (or active membership in good standing in the bar of another state, and ability to achieve admission to the Maryland Bar at the next feasible opportunity within a year after hire and to practice under supervision until admission)
- Minimum of five years of legal experience
- Demonstrated commitment to serving communities with low incomes, including experience working with transgender people, people of color, and other marginalized populations
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team, including an ability to clarify roles and responsibilities, delegate work, promote collaboration, and hold others and themselves accountable
- Demonstrated ability to coach and develop others toward goals, recognize accomplishments, provide and receive feedback that is timely, relevant, and constructive
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to identify areas for improvement within processes and implement solutions
- Demonstrated familiarity with and commitment to advocacy regarding legal issues concerning the LGBTQ community both nationally and in Maryland
- Significant experience in complex civil litigation in one or more of the following areas:
- LGBTQ civil rights
- Family law litigation
- Employment discrimination and statutory and constitutional civil rights litigation under the Maryland Fair Employment Practices Act, Title VII, the Fair Housing Act, Title IX, 42 U.S.C. § 1983, etc.
- Health law and policy, and/or ERISA insurance benefits litigation
- Prisoner rights litigation
- Other civil legal aid for low-income persons
- Demonstrated ability in written and oral communications, public speaking, and interpersonal relations
- Flexibility in work schedule
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
- Well-developed time management skills and strong attention to detail
- Ability to travel throughout the state of Maryland
Additional Helpful Qualifications:
- Experience in legislative and/or regulatory policy advocacy in Maryland, or in federal government or another U.S. state.
- Active membership in good standing in the Bar of the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland or another federal court.
FreeState Justice offers a competitive benefits package. Benefits include: medical, dental, and vision benefits; 403(b) retirement savings account; 11 paid holidays, 20 days of paid time off annually, and 10 days of paid sick leave.
$75k - 90k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should (1) prepare a cover letter, resume, writing sample and (2) complete an application form and upload your application materials at the following URL: www.freestate-justice.org/careers.
If necessary, questions may be directed via email to [email protected]; no calls please. More information about the organization can be found at www.freestate-justice.org.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert