Vice President of Marketing & Communications
Pennsylvania Horticulture Society
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Other
Postal code: 19103
Country: United States
$0 - $1M
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society connects people with horticulture and together we create beautiful, healthy and sustainable communities.
In 1827, the nation's first passenger and freight railroad, the Baltimore & Ohio, was incorporated, slavery was abolished in the state of New York, and on November 24th, a group of gentleman farmers, botanists and other plant enthusiasts held a meeting to create the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society.
There, it was resolved "to establish a Horticultural Society in the City of Philadelphia for the promotion of this interesting and highly influential branch of Science." At that time, PHS boasted 80 members. Today, the PHS family includes 27,000 members strong.
Community, innovation, and a passion for plants and gardening all describe PHS, and interwoven throughout is tradition, and the tradition that looms in most minds is the PHS Philadelphia Flower Show, held each year at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.
The first Philadelphia Flower Show was hosted in 1829 at the Masonic Hall on Chestnut Street, where the well-known Christmas favorite, the poinsettia, was first introduced to the American public. Today, the Philadelphia Flower Show serves as our nation’s largest and most prestigious flower show, attracting over 250,000 visitors annually, and high praise from industry leaders such as the International Festivals & Events Association, which bestowed 21 international awards for excellence including its Grand Pinnacle on the 2018 Philadelphia Flower Show, naming it the best event in the world.
Dedicated to Gardening, Greening and Learning, PHS programs are integral to the PHS mission. From civic landscape and parks initiatives, to community gardens and the restoration of major gateways and public landscapes throughout the city, PHS engages partners and thousands of city residents in an ongoing effort to make the city a more livable, vibrant place to live and work.
High on the list of PHS traditions for thousands in the region is volunteerism. If there is any single concept that gets to the core of PHS's mission, it is the act of getting together with others of all backgrounds and "working the soil." Whether it's joining in work days or planting bulbs in a Philadelphia neighborhood; touring enthusiasts through the grounds of PHS Meadowbrook Farm or guiding guests at the magnificent Philadelphia Flower Show, PHS fosters a passion for sowing and growing together that also serves as its hallmark.
The Vice President of Marketing and Communications reports to the Chief Marketing Officer and leads internal and external communications, integrated marketing strategy and core messaging for all business units. This position requires a leader with an ability to build inclusive resonant messaging narratives, diverse creative communications, and financial acumen. The VP of Marketing & Communications must have strong business intellect to leverage the PHS brand and impact areas to the benefit of the organization. The successful candidate will be responsible for strategic planning that builds awareness and engagement with the PHS brand among diverse target audiences in support of revenue goals.
Branding, Messaging, and Thought Leadership
- Oversees all promotional efforts to enhance PHS’s visibility and affinity with its constituents
- Oversees creation and execution of all messaging platforms to create internal alignment and effective communications with core audiences and stakeholders
- Increases brand affinity among targeted audiences
- Acts as a thought leader and partner to all business units to enhance revenue generation especially in service to the Philadelphia Flower Show, PHS Pop Up Gardens and Membership
- Ensures effective and consistent visual and tonal representation of organizational identity
- Strengthens PHS nationally as a thought leader around its four impact areas and with respect to its stature in the horticultural community
- Responsible for overseeing effective management of core marketing and communication channels including Owned, Earned and Paid Media, Promotions, Advertising, Print and Digital Communications
- Encourages, supports and provides direction to skilled team of marketing and communications professionals
- Manage and mentor team of experienced marketing and communications professionals
Strategy, Planning and Revenue
- Responsible for developing strategies that will grow target audiences and meet revenue goals specifically, those associated with the Philadelphia Flower Show, PHS Pop Up Gardens and Membership
- Supports fundraising efforts to enhance donor affinity, strengthen membership acquisition and retention rates
- Collaborates with Business Development unit to support and strengthen corporate relations
- Development and oversight of departmental budget
- Partners with Gardener Engagement team to expand pipeline and stewardship of gardeners throughout the Greater Philadelphia region
- Accountable for data collection, analysis and dissemination of market research in support of organizational goals
- Collects and maintains competitive information, consults with staff to leverage research findings
Other Essential Functions:
- Work in a seated position for 6 hours
- Must be able to work both weekends and evenings as needed and required based on business needs
- Self-directed: able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Task oriented: able to handle multiple assignments simultaneously
- See, hear, and speak with sufficient capability to perform assigned tasks
- Lift/lower, push/pull and carry objects/parcels no greater than 25 pounds
- 20-30% travel to other PHS work locations.
- Attendance at offsite meetings at PHS Headquarters and in the community as required.
- Ability to work and travel locally, regionally and nationally in safe weather conditions.
- Valid Drivers’ License.
- A reliable automobile with valid proof of current insurance.
- Demonstrate cognitive ability to:
- Follow directions and routines
- Concentrate, memorize, and recall Identify logical connections and determine sequence of response
- Process up to 2-3 steps ahead
- Evaluate problems and escalate / inform Management as necessary
PHS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, other legally protected characteristics or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. Pennsylvania Horticultural Society promotes Affirmative Action for minorities, women, individuals who are disabled, and veterans.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- A self-starter who can shape how we tell our story to the world, requiring the ability to develop relationships, set a strategy, and execute
- Deep understanding of traditional and innovative marketing strategies and a proven track record of creating campaigns and initiatives that will drive and increase revenue
- Demonstrated ability to align the organization internally and externally around the brand and marketing objectives
- Experience in leveraging digital media to grow organizational brands
- Experienced leader of individuals and teams
- Marketing leader with the vision to seek out new promotional avenues to support fundraising and program objectives
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience will be accepted
- 7-10 years communications and marketing experience
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert