Human Resources Manager
Human Trafficking Institute
Position Type: Part-Time (Paid)
Function: Human Resources/Recruiting
Primary domain: Crime/Legal
Postal code: 22031
Country: United States
$1M - $3M
The Human Trafficking Institute exists to decimate modern slavery at its source by empowering police and prosecutors to stop traffickers. Working inside criminal justice systems, the Institute provides the embedded experts, world-class training, investigative resources, and evidence-based research necessary to free victims.
The Human Resources Manager will play a significant role in the development and growth of the Human Trafficking Institute. As the Institute’s human resource functions grow, a person with proven experience is needed to guide and influence this aspect of the organization. The Manager will support the human resource functions needed by team members based in our Partner Countries (currently Belize and Uganda) as well as oversee the office needs at our Merrifield, Virginia, headquarters. This person is an executor – he or she gets things done with excellence and by deadline. The Manager makes those around them more effective in their roles at the Institute with meticulous oversight of the organization’s human resource functions. This position would be ideal for someone looking for a mission-oriented position at a growing nonprofit organization. This role reports to the Chief of Staff.
- Foster a positive, productive work environment by coaching, counseling, supporting, and advising Leadership and staff on employment-related issues.
- Coordinate and conduct talent acquisition, recruitment, and hiring processes.
- Facilitate on-boarding including offer letters, reference checks, employee forms, set-up on various platforms and software, and office procedures.
- Create and conduct onboarding process for all new employees.
- Create and update job descriptions for all positions.
- Conduct exit interviews, analyzes exit interview results, escalate findings and areas of concern to Leadership.
- Manage the creation process of organizational policies, which could include an employee handbook to ensure fair and equitable treatment for all staff.
- Develop and oversee the organization’s annual employee review process.
- Serve as Institute expert in the management of employee 401k plan, health insurance, and other benefits.
- Counsel Leadership regarding performance management, disciplinary action, and terminations.
- Maintain organization files and records.
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- Establish and maintain positive staff and public relations image.
- Attend meetings, retreats, and other Institute events.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local employment laws.
- Carry out additional assignments, as needed.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or relevant field required.
- Five years of relevant work experience required. Ideally will have prior work experience with an international organization.
- Deep knowledge of employment law, talent acquisition, compensation, benefits administration, employee relations, retirement plan administration, and HR best practices.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.) required.
- Experience in the development of organizational policies and procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to quickly and independently produce a professional work product.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks and take them to completion.
- Impeccable attention to detail, excellent organizational, planning, prioritizing, and time management skills.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills.
- Disciplined with priorities, efficient, works well under stress.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Self-motivated and articulate.
- Personable, winsome, mature judgment, discerning, emotionally intelligent.
- Be a welcoming and effective partner for colleagues and offer supportive guidance to employees.
- Strong ethic of service, sustained positive attitude, passion for the Institute’s goals.
This is a part-time position (25 hours) based in the Merrifield, Virginia, office with the possibility of growing into a full-time position. The Human Trafficking Institute offers a flexible work schedule, cell phone reimbursement, and a 401k matching program.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resumé, and three references to [email protected]. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert