Sr. Communications Specialist
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Healthcare
Postal code: 02140
Country: United States
Upstream is working to expand opportunity by reducing unplanned pregnancy and improving outcomes for parents, children, and society.
Upstream is a national, fast-growing nonprofit working to expand opportunity by reducing unplanned pregnancy in the U.S. We partner with states to provide sustainable training and technical assistance to health centers to ensure all women have same-day access to the birth control method of their choice at low or no cost. Our unique approach empowers women to decide when and if they want to become pregnant, a critical step towards improving outcomes for parents, children, and society.
Founded in 2014, Upstream is on track to achieve nationwide impact at scale. Our goal through 2023 is to partner with health centers that serve over 1 million women across four states. This ambitious plan for growth has received generous support from philanthropic individuals and foundations, including a $60 million lead investment by Blue Meridian Partners. Our unique approach has been featured in The New York Times, Washington Post, the Atlantic, CNN, Vox, and Marie Claire.
Following our first statewide intervention in Delaware, a leading national research center estimates a 24% decrease in unplanned pregnancies among Title X patients between 2014 and 2017. Patient surveys conducted at our partner healthcare centers affirm that Upstream-trained providers are empowering patients to make their own decisions about their contraceptive care.
Though Massachusetts is a leader in reproductive choice, many women in the Commonwealth still lack same-day access to the most effective forms of birth control. Our Massachusetts team works in communities across the state, partnering with health centers to improve contraceptive access, helping more Massachusetts women become pregnant only when they plan to do so.
We are looking for an energetic and execution-oriented Senior Communications Specialist to support our fast-growing Massachusetts project. In partnership with Upstream’s Massachusetts state office and National Communications Team, the Senior Communications Specialist will lead communications and marketing activity for Upstream’s Massachusetts project. The Senior Communications Specialist will report to the Massachusetts Deputy Director, with a dotted line reporting structure to the National Marketing Strategist. This is a fixed term position of approximately 5 years, corresponding to the planned duration of the statewide initiative.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Customize, write, and design marketing materials for localized state needs
- Develop messaging and PowerPoint presentations for Upstream external speaking engagements
- Stay in constant coordination and communication with Upstream’s National Communication Team to ensure local marketing content and messaging is consistent with Upstream’s organization-wide brand and communications strategy
- Proactively identify/troubleshoot state-specific messaging needs
- Develop state-specific email communications strategy and content calendar and manage email communications to state stakeholders
- Track and manage state marketing material pipeline utilizing project management tools (such as Asana)
- Support external events set-up, such as tabletop literature, visuals, and event communications
- Develop process for capturing and cataloguing multimedia (photos, videos, testimonials, interviews, etc.) from trainings, events, health center partners etc.
- Support state program team in strategic communications tasks and the development and distribution of marketing materials that improve health center patient resources
- Support the execution of a statewide consumer marketing campaign to inform Massachusetts patients about access to birth control at Upstream-trained healthcare partners. This may include working with outside marketing agency(ies), organizing focus groups, and experiential activities. Note: the consumer marketing campaign will likely to commence in the middle-to-late stages of the Massachusetts project.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- 3-5 years marketing experience; health care industry and non-profit experience preferred
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to interact and build relationships with Upstream staff, consultants and health center partners across multiple offices and remote working environments
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office platforms required and strong familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and Email Service Providers preferred
- Proficiency using Google products (Gmail, calendar, docs) or analogous tools required
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills to clearly portray and articulate our brand identity
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize workflows in a fast-paced, startup environment
- A customer-service mindset, proactively letting team members know the status of projects and meeting deadlines for completion
- A strong sense of urgency
- Ability to execute and act decisively, but collaboratively
- Ability to prioritize, self-start and manage multiple projects at once
- Ability to create materials and messages in an audience-appropriate manner, attuned to cultural and regional awareness and sensitivities
- Ability to anticipate and plan for questions, provide feedback and be responsive to feedback from others
- Interest in working in a mission-driven organization
- Confident and proactive self-starter who is skilled in taking initiative and working well independently
- Demonstrates a high degree of adaptability to work in a rapidly growing organization
- Comfort with ambiguity and changing goals during a project’s lifespan
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills. Builds and maintains positive, productive relationships with colleagues and team members throughout the organization and across the country
- Solid work ethic and a team player attitude
- Sound judgment and a creative approach to problem-solving
- Sense of humor
- Ability to understand regional landscapes and relationships
At Upstream, we embrace diversity. We nurture it and we thrive on it because it benefits our organization, our partners, and our community. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Upstream is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. Learn more about working at Upstream, our values, and our commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
Upstream Headquarters: 1630 San Pablo Ave., Suite 400, Oakland, CA 94612, www.upstream.org
No phone calls please.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please apply directly to: https://boards.greenhouse.io/embed/job_app?for=upstreamusa&token=1554794#application_form
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert