PARK AVENUE ARMORY
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Arts, Culture and Humanities
City: New York
Postal code: 10065
State: New York
Country: United States
Part American palace, part industrial shed, Park Avenue Armory is dedicated to supporting unconventional works in the visual and performing arts that need non-traditional spaces for their full realization, enabling artists to create, students to experience, and audiences to consume epic and adventurous presentations that cannot be mounted elsewhere in New York City. Since 2007, the Armory has opened its doors to visionary artists, directors, and impresarios who provided extraordinary experiences in a range of art forms.
Controller is a member of a highly accomplished and skilled management team. The Controller will report to the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer and provide day to day financial oversight of the $25mm operating budget, $65m endowment and ongoing capital renovations of the building. Areas of responsibility include accounting, budgeting, investments, banking relations, cash management, employee benefits, annual audit, federal and state tax filings, monthly financial statements, capital projects reconciliation and maintenance of financial information systems.
- Oversee the general accounting of the institution, including among other things, journal entries, cash disbursements, accounts payable, cash receipts, accounts receivable, reconciliation of bank accounts and adjusting journal entries;
- Oversee bi-weekly payroll processing;
- Assist in preparation and monitoring of the operating budget working closely with CFO and department heads;
- Preparation of monthly financial reports;
- Prepare short and long-term cash flow analysis; monitor cash flow and make short-term investment decisions based on working capital needs.
- Monitor and implement internal control procedures;
- Responsible for the annual audit and preparation of federal filings including IRS Form 990;
- Maintain liaisons with banks, auditors, investment advisors and managers;
- Maintain financial accounting system utilizing Fund EZ;
- Administer employment policies and benefit programs including 403b Plans (and filing annual Form 5500), flexible spending plans, FMLA, vacation and other paid time off policies.
- Day to day supervision of Accountant
- Work with Development department to monitor and reconcile contributions, pledges, and Special Event revenues
- Report uses of Restricted grants to individuals, foundations and various government funders
- Monitor the uses of restricted net assets, responsible for “release” of assets on a timely basis.
- Reconcile and record revenues from Ticketed Events, utilizing Tessitura reports, and tstats as needed
- B.A. in Accounting or Finance and 5+ years of management experience.CPA preferred.
- Solid technical accounting skills are essential with preference for non-profit accounting experience in a cultural institution
- A demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a highly motivated, energetic team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills essential
- Knowledge of Tessitura and/or Fund EZ accounting system a plus
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Medical, Dental, Vision, 403B with employer match, Life, LTD, STD, AD&D, Transit, Paid Leave
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter in a single Word or PDF document saved as candidate’s first and last name. All submissions should be emailed to [email protected] with “Controller” in the subject line. Only resumes and cover letters submitted in this format will be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
Park Avenue Armory is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from all candidates.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert