Massachusetts Charter Public School Association
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
Postal code: 01749
Country: United States
MCPSA’s mission is to create and protect the conditions that will enable the charter public school sector to thrive, and advance the larger goal of ensuring all Massachusetts children and families have equitable access to high-quality schools.
Founded in 2001, the Massachusetts Charter Public School Association (MCPSA) serves more than 70 schools and 42,000 students. It has an extensive history of supporting and advocating for charter public schools across the state and is currently in a period of exciting organizational growth. Massachusetts charter public schools are widely recognized as one of the highest performing charter sectors in the country. The mission of MCPSA is to create and protect the conditions that will enable the charter sector to thrive, contributing toward the common goal of all Massachusetts’ children having equitable access to high-quality schools.
Reporting to MCPSA’s Chief of Government Affairs, the Advocacy Manager will develop a program to strengthen the charter public schools’ voice within the political system and build relationships between charter public schools, their stakeholders, and policy makers. This work will include leading efforts to mobilize charter public schools stakeholders to support advocacy initiatives, educate political candidates about the benefits of charter public schools, and help to create a network of political supporters for the organization.
- Plan and execute volunteer engagement activities and events including tabling, community events, advocacy trainings, lobby days, and direct voter engagement in order to build power and promote the organization’s goals
- Develop materials, trainings, and tools enabling advocacy stakeholders to engage in actions, elevating the voices of charter public school stakeholders
- Build relationships with and provide coaching to school staff focused on effective advocacy
- Work with internal teams to identify opportunities for online and offline organizing
- Identify and foster relationships with partner organizations
- Engage political influencers to educate them about the charter public school sector in Massachusetts, including through stakeholder meetings and school tours
- Hire, manage, and coach additional staff as needed
- Develop and lead trainings for staff and volunteers, and provide external trainings for local partners
- Minimum of 2+ years experience in issue and/or candidate organizing and stakeholder engagement
- Passion for and commitment to helping charter public schools thrive as a key vehicle for ensuring equitable access to high-quality schools and uplifting the voices of communities impacted by policy maker’s decisions
- Demonstrated skills in planning and executing issue-based advocacy campaigns, including lobby days and community relations
- Experience in political organizing, including direct voter engagement and stakeholder mobilization
- Strong ability to interface with stakeholders from various backgrounds, including teachers, parents, elected officials and non-profit leaders
- Experience managing volunteers and volunteer programs
- Deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and breaking down barriers to create a more equitable education system
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff across departments and at all levels
- Exceptional time management, communication skills, and attention to detail
- Must be a self starter, with the ability to work independently and effectively in a virtual fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with the Massachusetts political landscape strongly preferred
- Multilingual capabilities preferred
- Regular access to a vehicle and valid driver’s license is required
Location and Timing:
This full time position is available immediately. MCPSA is a virtual organization with team members working remotely and will include travel throughout the state. This position may require irregular hours, including some evenings and weekends.
MCPSA offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including base salary, bonus, health, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement contributions, and paid time off.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and continue until the position is filled.
Notice of non-discrimination:
The Massachusetts Charter Public School Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. MCPSA does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. MCPSA strongly encourages people from underrepresented groups to apply, recognizing and respecting that diverse perspectives and experiences are valuable to our team and essential to achieving our purpose.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert