Director of People and Culture
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Human Resources/Recruiting
Primary domain: Youth Development
Postal code: 02144
Country: United States
The mission of YouthBuild USA is to unleash the intelligence and positive energy of low-income young people to rebuild their communities and their lives. Originally founded in 1978, our affiliates engage 16-24 year old Opportunity Youth who are not working or in school with construction skills, high school equivalency preparation and community service. In 1990, YouthBuild USA was established as the headquarters and technical assistance and support center for YouthBuild programs throughout the U.S. and now globally. YouthBuild USA works closely with the US Department of Labor to support programs through funding and technical support, and holds YouthBuild programs accountable to high standards of student achievement through the YouthBuild Affiliated Network.
Position Summary: We are hiring a Director, People & Culture to join our team. This role will partner with leadership and employees to support and develop a growing team of more than seventy employees, including 14 who work remotely. The Director will seek to understand and influence the culture of YouthBuild USA and drive decisions that lead to high performing teams, engaged employees and a positive work experience.
This is a full-time position, with responsibility for planning, directing, and implementing YouthBuild USA’s people and culture-related policies and activities. Responsibilities include developing and administering human resource policies, programs and practices and making recommendations to management. Also serves as the EEO/AAP Compliance and Diversity Officer. Reporting to the COO, the Director is a part of the Senior Advisory Team and supervises the HR Generalist role.
About YouthBuild USA
YouthBuild USA has approximately 70 employees, and an annual budget of $29 million, of which about $10 million represents pass-through funding to YouthBuild programs. John Valverde joined YouthBuild USA as CEO in 2017, succeeding Dorothy Stoneman, who had led the organization since its founding. The organization is executing a new strategic plan that will help guide its activities and priorities for the next five years. Please note that we will be moving our office from Somerville to Boston in the spring of 2020.
Specific Responsibilities of the Position:
- Manage the recruitment and selection of employees
- Design and conduct periodic staff surveys particularly with regard to employee satisfaction, perceptions of culture and processes
- Manage the organization’s benefit programs, which include health, dental, LTD, and STD programs; administer the flexible benefit plan and retirement plan
- Participate in the organization’s Senior Advisory Team
- Refresh and execute the employee performance review process
- Conduct exit interviews
- Manage the organization’s grievance process
- Revitalize the employee professional development program
- Ensure organization’s compliance with all applicable federal and state employment laws
- Maintain employee HR files and the organization’s Human Resources Information System (HRIS)
- Update and implement the organization’s human resource guidelines
- Provide guidance to supervisors on all aspects of supervision and the interpretation and carrying out of YouthBuild USA’s HR policies
- Collect and maintain relevant data for required reporting to government agencies, including serving as the organization’s EEO/AA officer
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, along with at least four years of relevant experience
- Nonprofit experience preferred
- Strong understanding of best practices in performance management and staff development
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Excellent communication skills, and demonstrated ability to work with diverse, geographically dispersed teams
- Understanding of HR-related government compliance
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
YouthBuild USA prides itself on having a fun, friendly working environment with competitive nonprofit salaries and an excellent benefits package.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply using this link: https://workable.com/j/0F711F656E
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert