Manager of Culture & Inclusion
Appalachian Mountain Club
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Function: Human Resources/Recruiting
Primary domain: Environment
Postal code: 02129
Country: United States
Founded in 1876, the Appalachian Mountain Club promotes the protection, enjoyment, and understanding of the mountains, forests, waters, and trails of America’s Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions.
We believe these resources have intrinsic worth and also provide recreational opportunities, spiritual renewal, and ecological and economic health for the region. Because successful conservation depends on active engagement with the outdoors, we encourage people to experience, learn about, and appreciate the natural world.
The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) seeks an engaging Manager of Culture & Inclusion to help lead efforts regarding diversity, equity and inclusion, learning, and best practices for employment policies. In particular, the Manager of Culture & Inclusion will:
- Drive DEI programs in the workplace
- Help to educate employees on the principles and policies within which we work, with a particular focus on supporting respectful and collaborative interactions across the organization
- Liaise between HR, Risk Management, and Volunteer Relations to reinforce AMC’s Code of Conduct
- Help to administer AMC’s Employee Handbook
- Facilitate learning and professional development opportunities
A desire to be hands-on and work closely with colleagues while balancing creative and pragmatic approaches will serve the Manager of Culture & Inclusion well.
- Establish and promote internal programs that support cultural inclusion for AMC’s employees
- Plan, coordinate and deliver employee training programs that are core to AMC’s culture: Code of Conduct, DEI and other policy-related items
- Work with Senior HR Manager and hiring managers to promote a diverse workplace and equal opportunity
- Develop uniform procedures for receiving and investigating complaints in accordance with AMC’s Code of Conduct
- Project management of Code of Conduct concerns. This includes assessing the severity of the issue, identifying appropriate stakeholders and supporting timely and consistent responses across departments, operational areas and volunteer club units and bringing issues to closure
- Own new hire orientation – policies, practices, AMC history, organizational structure, assimilation
- Work with HR Director to identify trends for where AMC should have more training, awareness, policy adjustments, etc.
- Similarly work with Volunteer Relations Director and Risk Management Director on issue analysis and response
- As needed, coordinate with Risk Management, Finance/Insurance and Media teams for issues that may have a broad and/or public impact
- Work with HR colleagues, Risk Management and hiring managers to coordinate counseling and crisis response for employee matters
- Help coordinate partnership and external learning programs
- Leverage technology to share information and communicate with staff
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years relevant experience
- Demonstrated expertise in leading diversity efforts, making change to organizational culture and promoting policies and practices
- Familiar with adult learning theory and its applications
- Experience with tracking data (e.g. issues, training participation) and drawing conclusions from it
- Able to process multiple perspectives and recommend an objective approach
- Outstanding communicator – listening, writing and speaking
- Engaging presenter/facilitator
$60k - 65k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via the below link. No phone calls please.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The Appalachian Mountain Club supports equal opportunity and values diversity in the workplace. AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert