Director, Institutional Relations
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Arts, Culture and Humanities
City: New York
Postal code: 10023
State: New York
Country: United States
The Metropolitan Opera is a vibrant home for the most creative and talented singers, conductors, composers, musicians, stage directors, designers, visual artists, choreographers, and dancers from around the world.
Each season the Met stages more than 200 opera performances in New York. More than 800,000 people attend the performances in the opera house during the season, and millions more experience the Met through new media distribution initiatives and state-of-the-art technology.
The Director oversees all aspects of fundraising and meeting financial goals for corporate, foundation and government income. S/he also guides fundraising activities for select special projects, including the young artist program, parks concerts, new and revival productions, media initiatives, radio broadcasts, education programs, endowment gifts, and capital projects, among others.Primary Responsibilities:
- Direct the activities of the Institutional Relations staff.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit new sources of support, while managing annual solicitations for corporate, foundation and government gifts and grants; guide annual solicitations and coordination of fundraising activities for select special campaigns.
- Prepare advanced proposals, reports and endowment reports, as well as sponsorship proposals; follow up on requests and report requirements related to grants, and manage other correspondence with funders and prospects on a timely basis.
- Manage communication with designated relationships through meetings, site-visits, conference calls, personal cultivation and event invitations; steward existing donors.
- Manage administration of Institutional Relations Department, including tracking IR and select special project income and expense budgets; and creating and maintaining annual solicitation, acquisition and reporting calendars.
- Oversee the maintenance of all corporate, foundation and government records, as well as those funders associated with select special projects, and Lincoln Center Corporate Fund.
- Ensure proper fulfillment of funder benefits, sponsorship deliverables and activation, complex agreements with major sponsors, and contractual obligations, including managing the Met’s official Credit Book and ensuring proper crediting in all print and digital materials.
- Serve as liaison to the Lincoln Center Corporate Fund.
- Entertain and cultivate current and prospective funders during the season; attend select functions and special events.
- Liaise with all departments across the Met, including Development, Media, Legal, Marketing, Education, Operations, Artistic, and House Management.
- Manage solicitation, cultivation and stewardship activities for a portfolio of Support the Met Broadcast Campaign donors.
- Provide additional support to the Director of Special Campaigns and Leadership Gifts, and assist Assistant General Manager for Development with special solicitations as directed.
Qualifications & Skill Requirements:
- Minimum of 7+ years of development experience, with an emphasis on institutional fundraising and proven track record of securing large gifts
- Broad knowledge of corporate and foundation giving; solid understanding of government contracts, cycles and reports
- Superior writing skills, with the ability to create persuasive and descriptive written materials
- Ability to manage a campaign within the constructs of an overall development operation, coordinating all campaign efforts with other institutional priorities and goals
- Excellent oral, written and computer skills; knowledge of Excel and Tessitura preferred
- Experience fundraising for the performing arts/cultural sector; knowledge of opera preferred
- Undergraduate degree; graduate degree in related field preferred
- Diplomacy, tact and ability to skillfully handle donor situations
- Superior organizational/time management skills
- Ability to work quickly and adapt readily to changes in priorities
- Requires some late evenings/weekends for cultivation activities
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to [email protected], including “Director, Institutional Relations” in the subject line of your e-mail.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert