Senior Accounting Manager
Demos: A Network For Ideas & Actions
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Advocacy/Social Action
City: New York
Postal code: 10004
State: New York
Country: United States
Working for an equal say and an equal chance for all. Dēmos has identified three essential goals to achieve this mission:
- Achieving true democracy by reducing the role of money in politics and guaranteeing the freedom to vote;
- Creating pathways to ensure a diverse, expanding middle class in a new, sustainable economy;
- And transforming the public narrative to elevate the values of community and racial equity.
Dēmos achieves these goals through bold narratives. We do not constrain our thinking to the politics of the day; we have high aspirations for our nation. Recognizing the power of narrative in shaping people’s worldview and building public will for change, Dēmos regularly moves narratives that have been excluded from the debate on behalf of people who have been excluded from the conversation. By telling new stories about our country and our future, our work supports advocates in almost all 50 states who are working to increase economic opportunity and democratic participation in their communities
Senior Accounting Manager
About Dēmos. Demos is a policy and advocacy organization working for an America where all have an equal say in our democracy and an equal chance in our economy. Founded in 2000, the organization is headquartered in New York City and has an office in Washington, D.C. Demos moves ideas powerful enough to improve the lives of everyday Americans through the full cycle of change. We champion over-the-horizon policy solutions, shift the narrative to clear the way for their acceptance, and advocate until they take effect. We use the right strategy for the right moment, whether it’s research, communications, supporting organizers, or litigation. This commitment to the full cycle of change has resulted in real victories, from landmark credit card reforms to over 3 million new voter registration applications from low-income citizens. Throughout all of our work, Demos is advocating not just for people, but for the very idea of the people—of one nation, united by a shared fate.
The Senior Accounting Manager will directly report to the Director of Finance and in a supervisory position of the Finance Associate. Candidates will be expected to apply a racial equity and inclusion lens in their work. The strongest candidates will have successful finance experience, as well as progressive management and leadership experience. This is an exciting opportunity for candidates who enjoy creating and improving systems across a dynamic organization.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist in monthly closing of the general ledger, review of journal entries and general ledger account reconciliations
- Consolidate records of transactions such as bank deposits, monthly journal entries, and reconcile various bank accounts
- Oversee the flow of cash or financial instruments by monitoring running balances of bank accounts, to process wire transfers and/or request stop payment, as needed
- Maintain deposit files to facilitate in audit sampling selection and assist with annual audit schedule preparation and support
- Assist with audit schedules as assigned by Director of Finance
- Provide assistance with financial statement preparation when needed and other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance, Chief of Operations, and Executive Vice President of Operations & CFO
- Demos Action (c4) – assist Director of Finance to oversee documentation and reporting for 501c4 entity, Demos Action
- Review AP and generate AP aging report for approval
- Process accounts payable checks & ACH payments
- Generate report for Positive Pay
- Generate IRS Form 1099-MISC for independent contractors annually
- Ensure compliance with purchasing guidelines for consultant and vendor selection with a racial equity lens
- Assist in the reconciliation between the accounting system and fundraising database in coordination with development staff.
- Review and import monthly credit card details as provided by development staff from third-party merchant (ie. Rallybound, Classy, etc.)
Payroll Administration and Benefits Support
- Review and approve payroll and transmit payroll to payroll provider
- Review payroll records periodically for accuracy and compliance
- Maintain and organize confidential payroll files and payroll system
- Prepare journal entries for semi-monthly payroll and employee benefits programs
- Process online benefits payments
- Maintain records of benefits payments for reconciliation purposes
- Submit necessary documentation for retirement plan contributions
- Direct supervision of Finance Associate
- Other tasks as requested by the Director of Finance, Associate Director of Operations, Chief of Operations and Executive Vice President of Operations & Chief Financial Officer.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and qualities:
- Nonprofit finance experience:Proven experience in day-to-day nonprofit accounting/finance and working knowledge of GAAP as applied to nonprofit accounting and working knowledge of fund accounting software are a must! Nonprofit audit prep experience is a must. Experience with Fund EZ is a plus.
- Strong administrative, organizational, and oral and written communication skills with experience working effectively with all teams in an organization to train and onboard staff and ensure compliance of fiscal policies and procedures.
- Excellent judgment and a high level of professionalism and discretion, especially when handling sensitive and/or confidential information.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills.
- Is interested in expanding analysis and knowledge about the role that racial inequity plays in our society, and has a strong interest in building or deepening their commitment to racial justice work.
The strongest candidates will also have some of the following skills and experience:
- Understanding of the role that racial inequity plays in our society and in the movement and proven ability to effectively manage across difference.
- Experience supporting, developing, and managing nonprofit organizational and team budgets.
- A sense of humor.
Previous experience processing payroll is a must. Candidates need to bring a strong commitment to excellence and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The position is full-time and based in New York City.
$75k - 90k
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
How to Apply:
Upload a thoughtful cover letter and résumé by clicking through the following link: https://demos.hiringthing.com We are looking for an immediate hire so applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Dēmos is an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert