Cheif Operating Officer
Tahirih Justice Center
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Advocacy/Social Action
City: Falls Church
Postal code: 22042
Country: United States
The Tahirih Justice Center is a national non-profit that has served over 25,000 courageous individuals fleeing violence since 1997. Our efficient, effective, and innovative model of service is now delivered from five locations, and we’re committed to serving as many immigrant women and girls as possible.
Tahirih is seeking to hire a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to provide strategic management, in partnership with the CEO, in executing Tahirih’s new five-year strategic plan. The COO will oversee the human resources, finance, information technology and operations functions for Tahirih nationally providing a strong day to day leadership presence and bridge between local and national operations. This role requires a consultative, innovative, agile leader committed to Tahirih’s core values and mission of advancing equity and social justice.
- Commitment to Tahirih’s mission, vision and value including a passion for breaking new ground to lead social change
- Capacity Building - ability to effectively build organizational and staff capacity of a diverse team, developing a top-notch workforce and the consultative processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly while still valuing all perspectives
- Strategic Vision and Agility - ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends across lines of difference, and incorporate them into an organizational plan consistent with our commitment to equity
- Leadership and Organization - exceptional capacity for managing and leading a diverse team; a team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations while maintaining lean processes; ability to connect staff across lines of difference both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed
- Action Oriented - enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation when needed but also willing to share power; can overcome resistance to and among leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary
- General Management - thorough understanding of finance systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems, human resources, and marketing
- Results - proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, humility and judgment; high level of business acumen including successful P&L management; the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; and problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness
- Equity and inclusion experience, skills, and values: deeply believes that racial equity and social justice are important and is driven to act on this belief; recognizes ways that race and other identities intersect and play out in the work, especially with communities we serve; understands the historical context for racial inequity, and its present-day implications, continually able to hear, reflect, and act on feedback re: identity and equity with the aim to learn.
- Bachelor’s degree
Competitive compensation depends on experience. Generous benefits include fully-paid employee health, vision and dental insurance; a 401(k) defined contribution retirement plan; flexible work schedules; professional development including in-house training programs, staff enrichment retreats and other growth opportunities. Employees have a very generous self-managed leave benefit inclusive of vacation, sick and holidays, including an office closure the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please include a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references.
Please note: Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert