Chief Financial Officer
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Education
City: New York
Postal code: 10005
State: New York
Country: United States
Works toward a more just and peaceful world by providing international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities through a global volunteer partnership.
AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network’s largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our Staff of approximately 175 dedicated individuals, working from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 4,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include: immersion-based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educator, schools and businesses.
With a $35MM annual budget and $10M in investments, AFS-USA enjoys an impeccable reputation and is one of the leading exchange organizations in the world.
AFS-USA seeks an entrepreneurial, strategic, passionate and experienced Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to join its executive team to lead the organization’s financial and administrative functions and to be an indispensable voice in strategic planning efforts.
Reporting to the CEO, the CFO will lead and oversee all fiscal, fiduciary and infrastructure responsibilities, which encompass management of accounting, government grants, investments, human resources, information technology and facilities management. The CFO will be responsible to ensure timely and accurate budget planning and financial reporting, compliance with federal grant regulations and to conduct strategic financial analysis of business performance and forecasting.
The CFO will supervise the Director of HR and Director of IT and will establish integrated management and cross-functional planning systems.
The CFO will serve as a key resource across constituents and will be highly effective in translating complex financial data into understandable concepts that allows for effective decision making. With impeccable interpersonal skills, the CFO will establish and cultivate excellent working and meaningful relationships with employees, the executive team, board members, external partners, and vendors.
Financial and Administrative Management
- Direct the finance functions of the organization in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and develop effective internal accounting control policies
- Supervise the preparation of all financial reporting materials and metrics and submit to various parties including but not limited to administration, Board of Directors, funding sources, and required governmental agencies.
- Coordinate all audit activities
- Together with the CEO, co-lead the organization’s annual planning and budgeting process, in strategic partnership with senior staff and the Board of Directors.
- Oversee regular financial training within the organization to ensure financial management literacy as needed by relevant staff and volunteers
- Manage all banking relationships, investments, loans and lines of credit ensuring that we are maximizing benefits and minimizing costs.
- Liaise and support the Board Finance, Audit and Investment Committees
- Oversight of HR functions including compensation, recruitment, staff training and development, policy development and benefits
- Ensure compliance with Federal and multi-state Departments of Labor regulations
- Manage employment practices risk
- Oversee the implementation (including regular upgrades) of AFS-USAs IT infrastructure
- Develop, manage, and regularly review all formal finance-, HR-, and IT-related procedures, processes, and administration.
Systems Design and Strategy
- Partner with the President and Executive Director on all operational and strategic issues as they arise; provide strategic recommendations based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis
- Participate in the ongoing strategic planning process as an integral member of the senior management team
- Engage other members of the senior management team to facilitate cross-department and cross-office collaboration that ensures that all financial, IT, and HR solutions positively support evolving strategy, operational delivery, and data collection needs
- Provide other advice and recommendations to the President & CEO, the Joint Finance and Audit Committee and the Board of Directors on all significant financial management issues
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
AFS-USA is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. AFS-USA prohibits all forms of unlawful discrimination, harassment and retaliation, including behavior which targets an individual or group based on perceived or actual characteristics, such as but not limited to: race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), national origin, age, disability, military service, veteran status, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, familial status, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, alienage, citizenship status, caregiver status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offense or stalking, unemployment status, status as a certified medical marijuana patient or any other legally protected classification.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A seasoned leader with at least 10 years of broad finance and administrative experience in a non-profit organization
- Highly numerate with an ability to create, manage, interpret, and present financial analysis, forecasting and resource management
- Extensive experience in budgeting across multiple cost centers and projects, forecasting, and cash flow management
- In-depth knowledge of US government grant accounting and Uniform Guidance rules; policies, procedures and internal controls; NICRA proposals; and auditing requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to manage Information Technology, Human Resources and facilities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong managerial and leadership skills with ability to manage and develop high-performing teams
- Ability to manage a heavy workload and perform effectively managing numerous significant responsibilities and challenges with competing priorities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel; familiarity with Salesforce and Great Plains accounting software desirable
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting or financial management, a CPA license and MBA preferred.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
Please apply online:
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert