Chief Financial & Administrative Officer
Sanctuary for Families
Position Type: Full-Time (Paid)
Primary domain: Human Services
City: New York
Postal code: 10268
State: New York
Country: United States
Sanctuary for Families is dedicated to the safety, healing and self-determination of victims of domestic violence and related forms of gender violence. Through comprehensive services for our clients and their children, and through outreach, education and advocacy, we strive to create a world in which freedom from gender violence is a basic human right.
Sanctuary for Families (Sanctuary) is New York’s leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking, and related forms of gender violence. Through comprehensive clinical, legal, and job training services for adults and children, and through outreach, education and advocacy, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children each year to move from fear and abuse to safety and stability and strives to create a world in which freedom from gender violence is a basic human right.
What started in 1984 as a grassroots effort to meet New York City’s dire need for domestic violence shelters is today a vital organization that employs a team of over 200 including social workers, job training experts, lawyers, clinicians, and support staff operating out of 11 locations throughout the five boroughs. Through programs in counseling, legal, shelter, economic empowerment, anti-trafficking, outreach & training, and advocacy, Sanctuary makes a fundamental difference in the lives of more than 13,000 adults and children each year, and tirelessly advocates for an end to gender violence.
FUNDING: Sanctuary has a current annual operating budget of approximately $26 million. Revenue is provided from government (62%); foundations, corporations, law firms, and individuals (25%); and appeals and events (13%).
The Chief Financial and Administrative Officer (CFAO) is vital member of the senior team and will serve as a key advisor to the Executive Director, focusing on finance, operations, human resources, grants management, facilities management, IT, compliance, and risk management. The objective of this newly created role is to ensure the effective and strategic use of resources so that Sanctuary has a robust and sustainable future and continues to anticipate and address community needs in the most impactful way. The CFAO will facilitate and be engaged in the strategic planning process to help chart the future success of Sanctuary and advocate for an end to gender violence. The CFAO reports to the Executive Director, works closely with board-level committees, and provides leadership to a team of 27.
- An advocate for ending gender violence.
- Genuine interest in the Sanctuary mission.
- Significant experience in finance and strategic business operations in a complex, multi-site not-for-profit organization or relevant government or private sector setting. Experience working with direct-service programs is a plus.
- An understanding of public grants and contracts administration.
- Credibility to serve as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director and other members of the senior leadership team.
- Experience working with an engaged and committed board of directors.
- Analytical ability to gather and interpret financial information and make recommendations to senior leadership.
- Seasoned, mature leadership skills with exceptional judgment.
- Able to oversee day-to-day operations and also provide direction on policy and strategic matters.
- Tech savvy.
- Direct experience in human resources, facilities, IT, risk management, and compliance.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all facets of work.
- The highest commitment to professionalism, integrity, and confidentiality.
- Well-developed listening and communication skills.
- Creative problem solver.
- Collaborative team player.
- Strong commitment to client service.
- Respectful and open to different points of view.
- Comfortable engaging with culturally and ethnically diverse staff, clients, stakeholders, and other constituents.
- Knowledgeable about New York City communities and neighborhoods.
- Familiarity with New York City government and legal community.
- Ability and willingness to attend Sanctuary events and activities after business hours, as needed.
- A bachelor’s degree is required; MBA and/or CPA is desirable.
Sanctuary for Families offers an attractive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience and accomplishments.
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
How to Apply:
To apply via the Howe-Lewis Talent Portal please click here or visit howe-lewis.com and click on the “Assignments” tab. You may also email your resume and letter of interest to [email protected]
All expressions of interest will be held in confidence.
Posted By: Howe-Lewis International
To receive targeted job listings like this one by e-mail please create a job alert